Two

Something had to happen.

The instant she took the jump she felt the pendulum swing up.

Best. Decision. Ever.

She loved the wind rushing against her skin and through her hair. She caught herself thinking this was what flying must feel like. The freedom. The weightlessness. Until bam! She slammed feetfirst into the water. The shock woke her up. But there was no stopping now. A smile stretched her lips as her body sank. The coldness banished the sparkling heat in her blood. Most people would have fought hard to break through to the surface. She wasn't most people.

Breath left her body in tiny bubbles. The salt water stung her eyes like tears. She struggled to keep them open, blinking a lot. What little of the sky she could make out grew farther and farther away.

This must be what unconsciousness was like. The silence. The cold. Away from hateful words. Hateful stares.

As she sank farther into the darkness, another shape dove into the water. A shadow she couldn't quite make out until he reached her and wrapped those long fingers around her wrist. Then, with a quick kicks, her rescuer pulled her body from the depths. She wanted to stay under longer. Just a little longer. But in seconds her head broke the surface. And as if by instinct, she gulped in the breath her lungs desired.

Two coughs later, an arm wrapped around her front, and soon she was pulled back toward the shore. Breathing allowed her body to float until her back was almost parallel with the water. She stared up at the sky. It's blue reminded her of the brushstrokes in Van Gogh's The Starry Night - how the light mixed with the dark until the dark won, even if technically it was still early afternoon.

 It's blue reminded her of the brushstrokes in Van Gogh's The Starry Night - how the light mixed with the dark until the dark won, even if technically it was still early afternoon

Lost in thoughts of swirls of paint, she was surprised when two strong arms dragged her weak body onto one of the docks nearest the cliff. Then she was dropped like a wet towel. An oof escaped her mouth, then a giggle.

A face with the most startling brown eyes hovered above hers. No longer were the corners crinkled. Flames burned behind those irises. She reached up and touched his cheek. His eyes softened slightly. Even wet he was the most handsome boy she had ever seen.

"Wow," she said in an extended exhale, feeling the urge to paint him.

Her handsome boy's expression hardened. "Wow? Wow?" He closed his hands around the collar of her soaked shirt and lifted her. Then he shook her. "Wow? What the hell were you thinking?" He dropped her again, his eyes searching her face.

"My mom always says I don't make the best decisions."

"That part is oblivious." He wiped his hands over his still-dripping face. A deep sadness replaced the anger in his eyes. "Whatever you've got going on isn't worth killing yourself."

"Who says I wanted to kill myself?"

"Um, maybe the fact you walked to the edge and didn't stop until you went over? That shows a goal."