Chapter 13: Will it End Here?

Comenzar desde el principio

I saw him relaxed and smiled back. Actually, Martin wasn’t that bad. Molly didn’t make such a bad choice.

We were held up at the entrance for pictures, and we ended up in thrice—Molly and me at Martin’s both sides, and all of us looking totally ill at ease.

We then proceeded to where the party was in full swing. I noticed men in white carrying trays with cocktails and I almost tempted to grab a glass, but I was sure it wouldn’t look appropriate on me—not for a seventeen-year-old first timer. So I kept my hands with me, holding my silver clutch bag that kept glistening whenever light was pointed at it.

The marquee, up close, looked quite intimidating, and the tables and chairs covered with white linen made me remember wedding nuptials.

Then I heard my name.

Both Molly and I turned to look at the speaker. It was Chelsea, hair knotted high, wearing a short emerald green dress. She had always looked pretty.

“I wasn’t sure if you guys could come. But hey, I’m so glad you guys can come. Come with me,” she said, bubbly but unsure, trying her hardest to keep her tone light. Then she surprised me by holding my hand, like we were best friends of some sort.

I looked at Molly for help, but she just shrugged her shoulders like she couldn’t believe it either. So there, we walked, following Chelsea who was still holding my hand.

We went to the house, stopping at the big brown front door, which was the most intimidating of all. A man in gray suit opened the door for us and we sauntered in.

“Here’s where we party. Outdoors are for the old and aged,” Chelsea said, giving us all a knowing wink. She looked really excited, and I expected she just couldn’t wait to brag what she prepared.

The house was what I didn’t expect. It was a far cry from the elegant party outside. Inside was the entire Luna East student body, caressing cans of beers and fishing out cheese crackers from a giant bowl placed at the center of the room. Whoa. And the music was loud, Miley Cyrus giving everyone a high time.

Beside me Molly gasped. “Seems like I am going to take part with the best party this year,” she said with a giggle, grabbing Martin’s hand and instantly mingling with the crowd. They were gone in a flash.

Ouch. Suddenly I felt alone. I couldn’t come up with how to enjoy a party where everyone seemed to have an inclination to trip me off my feet any time. Big time.

“Are you looking for Noah?” I didn’t realize Chelsea was still standing beside me.

I turned to look at her. “No,” I said with hesitation. “I—I think I’ll get a drink.”

“Sure, and don’t hesitate to join us afterwards. We’re stationed there,” she said, pointing at the big red couch where her posse sat giggling and downing beers. “See you in a while!” she beamed and was gone.

Did I imagine it? Because Chelsea had never been like this to me, let alone civil. Or maybe she had a plan. Well, I wouldn’t let her ruin my night, even if it was her party. I went to the table with the drinks and popped open a can of beer, downing it right there and then. The beer didn’t compliment my dress, let alone my clutch bag, but it was better than drinking coke at a party. I wondered how Chelsea was able to convince her parents for all these.

Then the next thing I knew I was drinking more beer. I wasn’t sure how many I’d finished, but I only stopped when I felt like my gallbladder was about to burst out. I went running, looking for the comfort room. Jeez, I was tipsy, and I didn’t think I could stand the noise one bit, most of all my gallbladder.