Chapter 1

Evelyn

"Good morning miss Evelyn, how are you today?" My coworker and best friend Martha asks.

I look up at her and smile as I set my things down on my desk in the back.

"I'm wonderful, thank you martha, and yourself?"

"I'm doin, ready for the weekend." Her light voice laughs. I nod in agreement and we begin to talk about our weekends plans.

"We should go out tonight and dance, maybe meet a man?" She smirks and bumps my hip as I put on my nurse hat.

"Oh no not that again." I groan and push my long brown hair out of my face.

Martha always nags me about never being with someone. Always focusing on my work and patients.

"C'mon it'll be great for ya!" She insist making puppy dog eyes. She sits back in her swirly chair and I do the same.

I stare at her for a moment before caving in.

"Fine fine fine." I dramatically groan. Martha spins in her chair letting out a squeal in victory.

The doors of the hospital burst open and a group of men carrying each other breaks the light mood and Martha and I are instantly on our feet.

"We need a doctor!" A deep voice yells, I rush to the man in his arms as he collapse to the ground.

Martha screams for the other nurses in the back. They help aid the wounded.

"What happened to him!?" I ask as I struggle to set the man onto the table, I instruct him to lay back.

"He was shot in the stomach by the enemy, he jumped in front of me so I wouldn't take the bullet." His friend says quickly, swallowing hard.

"I have to get the doctor he needs to get it out asap!" I run to the doctor checking another man with a large gash across his forehead.

"Doctor you need to remove a bullet from one of the soldiers abdomen, he's lost a lot of blood already." I nervously tell him my hands shaking.

"Take him to the back, ill be there in a second. Hurry." Doctor Dan orders me.
I nod and go back to the young man fading in and out of consciousness.

His friend shoots up from the chair next to him, "is he going to live?"

"We're going to do our best to save his life." I force a smile and grab the edges of the bed, ready to wheel him back.

I began to push him through the hall leaving the loud chaos behind.

A strained voice, barely above a whisper, breaks the silence and I look down.

"Are you an angel?" I stop, startled by the question, quickly recovering.

"You're going to be ok. You've lost a lot of blood, but you'll be alright." I say not looking at the man, my main focus is getting him to where he needs to be.

"You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen." He continues. He really lost a lot of blood or else i doubt he'd be saying those things.

I stop once the bed is in position. I get out a syringe and needle and set up the anesthesia to knock him out for surgery.

"My names Harold." He smiles, looking up at me in a dazed manor.

His eyes the color of fresh cut grass. His smile contagious. He has a fair complexion, his dark hair standing out against his pale skin.

"Well Harold, you're going to feel a slight pinch." I say and focus on putting the IV in.

As I put it in he intakes a sharp breath and squeezes his eyes.

"I know I'm sorry, this is the hard part. After this you'll be alright I promise." I say and push his hair back off  of his forehead.

His eyes hold contact with my brown ones the whole time as I slowly push the anesthesia into his IV. His lips parted.

"You're a very brave man, risking your own life for your friend. A very admirable action." I smile at him, watching the last bit of anesthesia empty into his IV.

He should be passing out any second now.

"What is your name?" He asks, inching his face closer to mine. His eyes roam all over my face before settling on my red lips.

"Evelyn, Evelyn Fay." I smile as his eyes begin to blink quickly. Even with blood and dirt smeared all over his face, he's beautiful.

"Evelyn." He whispers before passing out. I stare at him for a minute, infatuated.

The doctor walks in tugging his gloves on, snapping me from my trance.

"Alright, let's get to work miss Fay."

Ahhhhh so that was the first  chapter my loves! I hope you guys are excited for the next chapter. Please give me some feed back. I love to hear your thoughts. Much love xx -k