Chapter 2

Present Day...

"Where's that one puzzle piece?"

"Oh there it is!"

"Shoot...it don't fit...guess it ain't it..."

"Maybe this one..."

"It fits!"

This is what mute Ponyboy was thinking as he worked on his puzzle on the living room floor one evening. Ever since Darry and Soda took him home from the police station six months ago, Pony had gravitated to puzzles and was also drawing a lot more. His therapist said that things like puzzles and drawing helped relax Pony.

He was in the middle of finishing it when Sodapop came and sat down slowly. Soda and Darry had to approached him slowly at all times just so they don't scare him.

"Hey there Pones...." Soda said as he slowly sat down next to his little brother. Ponyboy looked up at Soda and smiled. "How's your puzzle going?" Soda asked.

Pony showed Soda his progress, making Soda grin. "Great job Ponyboy!" Ponyboy, who loved praise, giggled and continued on his puzzle.

After a few moments of silence and watching Ponyboy work on his puzzle, Soda suddenly asked Pony, "When will you start talking to Darry and I?"

Sometimes, mentioning anything about speaking to Ponyboy makes up very upset. He perked up and looked straight at Soda, bursting into tears. Soda picked his baby brother and cradled him.

"Please talk to us Ponyboy..." Soda begged. Pony just cried harder and shook his head. Darry, who was sitting on the couch, took Pony out of Soda's arms and cuddled him until he finally calmed down and yawned.

Darry looked up at the clock. "It's late now Pony. Let's get you to bed." He stood with Ponyboy in his arms and walked to his room, Soda following in suit.

Ponyboy absolutely hated sleeping with a burning passion. Before he was kidnapped, Pony already had terrible nightmares that he couldn't remember. Now they're worse and very vivid.

Darry laid Ponyboy down on his bed and rubbed his stomach. "Just close your eyes honey.." Darry whispered. "Soda and I ain't too far away if you wake up." Soda and Darry gave Pony hugs and kisses on his forehead before they turned off his light and went to sleep themselves. Eventually, after staring at the ceiling for a while, Ponyboy drifted off to sleep.

---

It was about 2 am when Ponyboy woke up screaming and crying from a very bad nightmare. He climbed out of his bed and started pounding on the wall where Darry's room was. Ponyboy's nightmares were extremely violent, and he hit walls often when he'd wake up from a nightmare.

Darry was asleep when he woke up hearing the sound of someone hitting his wall. He sleepily pulled himself out of bed and went into the hallway. That's when he saw Ponyboy screaming and bawling uncontrollably. Darry's eyes were wide with terror. What did Ponyboy dream about this time?

Immediately, Darry scooped up Pony in his arms and held him tight. "Shhh...." He hushed into Ponyboy's ear as he rocked him slowly. Pony gripped onto Darry's shirt in fear and sobbed harder.

"You're alright Ponyboy....you  had a nightmare, but you're awake and it's all over now." Darry knew himself that he was lying. It's all over, for tonight at least. The poor kid's gotta go through this every night.

Eventually, Ponyboy calmed down and looked up at Darry. Darry stroked Pony's hair and kissed his tears away. "You're okay now, Little Colt...I'm here..."

Pony climbed out of Darry's arms and pulled him by the hand to the living room. He got out his sketch book and started drawing his nightmare. Pony showed Darry his drawing once he finished.

Darry's eyes widened at what his kid brother just drew. On the left side of the paper was a small stick figure (Pony could draw better than stick figures unless he's scared. He drew stick figures when he was under stress.) who was cowering in fear and looked hurt. Then there was a taller and more intimidating stick figure on the right, hurting the smaller person. Darry frowned when he realized that the small one was Ponyboy and the tall one was the kidnapper.

Ponyboy had started to cry again. Darry pulled him onto his lap and hugged him tight. "That ain't gonna happen baby." Darry cooed. "You're safe with Soda and I now."

The mute fourteen year old nodded but continued to cry softly into his older brother chest. Darry just rubbed soothing circles into Pony's back until he eventually fell asleep in his arms.

Darry smiled at his sleeping brother and carried him back to bed. He climbed in next to Ponyboy and wrapped his arm around his brother. He soon fell asleep, holding his little brother close to him.