Ch. 5 (PG): Lord Christian is Out of Sorts

Start from the beginning

Yet, I go on to indulge in an unwise second glass of champagne tonight at Lady Madeline's presentation ball. Why I am being so reckless with the champagne is beyond my comprehension at the moment—the bubbles having clouded my mind. No, that is not true. I do know why. I am miffed because though I can offer a lady a title, and an old and distinguished family, and connections, the lady in question has a large marriage dowry that would serve to release my family's debts and shore up our finances to the point that I would be able to provide a significant dowry for my own sister Lady Lizzie. I realize that though my intentions are honourable—toward my sister—I am just as much a fortune hunter as my young brother Lord Harold. And that causes me to feel a sense of self loathing--to my core.

Then I hear others saying that another waltz is up next, and I remember that I had promised it to Lady Madeline. So I must fulfill my obligation and I seek her out--however dreadfully tired I feel because of the two glasses of champagne that I have consumed tonight.

Across the ballroom from Lord Christian, after her sixth dance set Lady Maddie sits gratefully at rest with her Grandmother Lady Lucretia. As I sit chatting with my Grandmama while the orchestra gets ready to play another waltz, I had forgotten that I am promised to Lord Christian again, for a waltz. That is, until I see that Lord Christian walks toward me to claim me for the dance. Well, not walking, per se--more like meandering. Then I realize that he is drunk, and I clap my hand over my mouth in shock.

Lady Madeline: "Good Lord! Grandmama, Lord Christian is in his cups." I hiss in a whisper to my Grandmama.

Lady Lucretia: "What did you say, Maddie Dear." I ask sweetly, the fatigue of the evening is wearing on me.

Lady Madeline: "Lord Christian is drunk. And he is walking toward me to claim our waltz. What am I to do, Grandmama?" I ask her in a panic. "Lord Christian is much bigger than I am, and there is no way I can hold him up if he starts to fall down."

Lady Lucretia: "Oh dear!" This is a quandary that I had not anticipated. I now realize that I should have kept the refreshment drinks to merely unspirited punch, but I pridefully wanted to be the best hostess. I shake my head at my folly.

Lord Christian stops dead in front of Lady Lucretia and her granddaughter Lady Maddie. Then he bobs an uncertain bow to each of them. He is clearly drunk. Then he speaks slurringly to Lady Madeline, confirming his wretched state.

Lord Christian: "There you are, Maaadlin." He prefaces her name with no title, even though courtesy demands that he should do so in public--despite their families' familiarity. "Care to stand up with me for our waltz? Then I can go home to see how my Grandmother fares."

Lady Lucretia: "Something is wrong with Lady Catherine?" Her eyes go wide with concern.

Lady Madeline: "Yes, Grandmama, Lord Christian told me earlier that she felt unwell. That is why Lady Lizzie is not here. She stayed home to tend to her."

Lord Christian: "I want to get back to her swiftly. But I promised Grandmother that I would also waltz with you. So waltz with you I must. Come along, little girl. Let us play out this charade." I petulantly hold out my hand to her.

And petulant does not look good on a granite mountain, thinks Lady Madeline.

Lady Lucretia Beckham Knott's eyes widen in concern for Lord Christian's less than gentlemanly demeanor at the moment to her granddaughter Lady Madeline.

Lady Madeline: I am instantly offended by Lord Christian's insinuation that I am a little girl. And I make my displeasure known to him. "Lord Christian, young though I may be, I am out in society now and entertaining marriageable offers." Then I continue in hushed tones. "Though I have declined them all so far. A little girl would not be sought after for a wife."