Chapter 1

A/N: This story is dedicated to Tuff_Greaser . I got the idea for this story from a role play that we did. I hope you guys enjoy it, and remember to stay gold!

Six months earlier...

Emptiness. That's all Sodapop and Darry Curtis felt as they sat on the couch in their living room. Just days ago, their little brother, Ponyboy, was kidnapped. An investigation had been going on for a few days now, and still nothing. Soda was almost convinced that Pony was dead.

"What if the fuzz never finds him?" Soda asked worriedly.

Darry, who was sitting next to him, wrapped his arm around Soda. "They will little buddy." Darry replied hopefully. "I have a hunch that they will. Trust me." Soda wiped the tears off his face and nodded, hoping that Darry was right.

Suddenly, the phone rang. Darry was quick to answer it.

"Hello?" He asked.

"Hello, am I speaking with...Darrel Curtis, Jr.?"

"Yes...."

"This is Officer Williams of the Tulsa Police Department. You are the older brother and legal guardian of Ponyboy Michael Curtis, correct?"

"Yes Officer."

"We've found him. He was being beaten up by a man in an alley, and we're convinced it's his kidnapper. The man has been arrested and Ponyboy is in the police station. You may come and pick him up."

Darry felt so relieved and happy. "Thank you officer," he said, "I'll be right over." He hung up the phone.

"Who was that?" Soda asked.

Darry gave a small smile. "The police. They found Ponyboy."

---

"He's right here..." Officer Williams said as she led Darry and Soda into a room.

Ponyboy was sitting on a chair, his knees tucked into his chest. He was trembling and had a blanket wrapped around him. His older brothers looked sympathetic.

"Your brother was extremely shaken up when we found him." Officer Williams explained. "He wouldn't and couldn't talk to us. I'm afraid to say that he's mute."

Darry was speechless. He felt his heart sink to his chest. His baby brother was mute? Mute means you don't have the power to speak...What did that man to do Pony that traumatized him so bad?

Sodapop, on the other hand, just hugged Darry tightly. Darry hugged his kid brother back, and rubbed his back soothingly.

"Is he gonna be ok?" Soda asked the officer.

"Well, for people like Ponyboy, this is very common. He's traumatized, he's too shook up to speak, and there'll be times where he'll have panic attacks and flashbacks. He'll also have pretty violent nightmares and night terrors.

Ponyboy already has bad nightmares, Soda thought. Now they'll be worse....but what could be worse than waking up screaming bloody murder?

Darry slowly walked over to Ponyboy. He kneeled down. "Hey Little Colt..." He said gently. "It's Darry....."

Ponyboy looked up at Darry with big, innocent greenish-grey eyes. They looked scared and fearful. He curled up with the blanket he had on and reluctantly held his arms up towards Darry.

Darry smiled and gently picked up his baby brother. Pony looked around the room nervously. He saw Soda and looked at him carefully.

Soda walked over to Ponyboy and gently stroked his hair. "Hey Pones...it's Sodapop.." Pony nodded slowly, recognizing everyone.

"C'mon, let's go home now..." Darry said, still carrying Ponyboy.

Darry got in the truck and placed Ponyboy on Soda's lap. Soda rubbed Pony's back as Darry started driving away.

Both older brothers knew it their hearts that everything was going to be ok now that Ponyboy was home. He was different from before, but he's still Ponyboy.