The Paths We Take {2}

Bruce and Vic had claimed the front of the car, so Aaron had rested himself along the backseats, his feet close to my leg. I mentally sighed as I took in that look in his eyes.

"I'm not up to dying tonight," I said.

"No, no, no." Aaron wagged a finger at me in disapproval. "We're not dying tonight, Kaz. We're living. There's a difference."

"With you, I'm not sure there is," I said.

Aaron's lips stretched into a sharp smile. "You're so painfully boring. Mommy's little boy, always doing what he's told. I'll teach you how to live."

"If I was mommy's little boy, would I be here without complaint?" I said.

Aaron's eyes lit up. "I think you're here for several reasons, Kaz."

It was surely no secret to Aaron that I had a crush on him. But Aaron was a predator that liked to play with his prey.

Aaron stared past me out of the window. "Oh, I know, let's make our way to gas station. I need some smokes."

"Don't smoke in the car. Dad will have your ass," Bruce said, but took a turn towards the closest gas station.

"I'll smoke anywhere I please," Aaron said dismissively.

Bruce pulled into the parking lot of the gas station. It was quiet, with only two other cars in the parking lot. We all got out of the car and went inside, where a lazy cashier leaned on the counter and stared at a TV playing overhead. A man was flicking through chips off to the side and a woman was in the back looking through drinks.

Aaron slipped money out of his pocket and into Vic's hand, who was the only one old enough to legally buy smokes. He gestured Vic away and led me over to the side, where there was candy and a few other items.

"Get me a lighter. I forgot mine," he said.

"Buy your own," I said. "You have money."

"Buy it? Kaz, you're a thief," he said, leaning against me, his arm on my shoulder. "Why would I buy a lighter when you can get me one for free?"

"I'm not stealing from a store!" I said, keeping my voice low. "There are lines I'm not crossing, Aaron."

"It's a lighter," Aaron said, hand creeping towards the back of my neck. I felt his fingers clamp there, holding my head down a little. "Get me a lighter while I'm still in a good mood, Kaz."

"Fine, I'll get you a lighter," I said.

He dropped his hand from my neck, a smile on his face. I picked up the lighter and moved past Kaz, setting in on the counter in front of the cashier.

The man, who could easily put two and two together, didn't bother. He just rang up the price and handed me my change, letting his gaze fall back to the TV.

I tossed the lighter to Aaron as we left the gas station, tucking my wallet back into my pocket. Aaron caught the lighter and grabbed the back of my shirt.

He yanked me close, flicking the lighter to life and holding the flame between us, dangerously close to both of our faces. "I told you not to buy it."