Chapter 2: Matters of Pride

Start from the beginning

What am I going to do, I can’t stay here, I at least have to make it back to the forest.

Once more she tried to stand making it at least to where she was balanced on one leg. Hesitantly she put her other foot on the ground, tears welling in her eyes as the sharp snap of pain made her lose her balance.

Strong hands caught her before she hit the ground; she looked up, dumbfounded into the face of the butler who just smiled at her. "Bring her into the house Sebastian; it appears she needs a bit assistance." The young lord called out before reentering the manor.

Kat bristled, "I do not need mmph." The butler put a gloved hand over her mouth silencing her protest. The urge to do something childish, like bite his palm, was very strong, but, Kat decided, she had made a big enough spectacle of herself.

What an odd little human. Sebastian couldn’t help but feel slightly interested in the little spitfire in his arms. She was at first glance a fragile little thing you would expect to adorn the parlor of some lords home, but upon deeper scrutiny one could see the remnants of fading scars and a hard glint in her eyes.A most interesting human indeed.

He carried her down the hall, and passed the servants quarters to the kitchen where he deposited her on the counter. "There we are, now how about we take a look at your injury." She watched him with narrowed eyes as he gently lifted the swollen appendage. He was impressed not many women would walk on a sore ankle, much less a severely sprained one. She hissed when he turned it slightly.

"My apologies, did that hurt?" He bottled the chuckle that threatened when she muttered something under her breath of an unsavory nature. "I didn’t think young ladies were taught that kind of language. Hold still." He retrieved a roll of bandages he kept in the cupboard before wrapping her ankle. "Do you have a name?"

Contrary as a cat she responded, "Do you have a name?"

He arched his brow at her, "Of course I do, I serve the Phantomhive family, if I didn’t have a name what kind of butler would I be? My name is Sebastian."

He was answered with a very un-ladylike snort. "That’s some name there."

"Says the lady with no last name, do you at least have a first? I would assume that Catherine is not your real name."

She bristled, "And what’s that supposed to mean? Never mind, forget it." She was silent for a moment, "Catherine is my real name but I only answer to Kat. They put Catherine on the cast list because it sounded more…feminine."

"Well-" Interrupted by a loud growling sound Sebastian looked up into Kat’s completely stoic face. "Was that you?"

"No." The growl issued again this time louder, he frowned at her, "I believe it is. Would you like something to eat?" He saw her hesitate, torn between hunger and a sense of pride. She sighed, "No."

No, did I hear her correctly?

"Why not?"

"Matter of pride. If I can’t feed myself, what right do I have to ask you to?"

Sebastian didn’t reply, what could he say? He would most likely do the same thing in her place, but the situation would be a little different. After all, he didn’t require human food; human souls were his main food source.

She’s an interesting woman as well as interesting human; perhaps that is why the Young Master told me to bring her in. Lord Phantomhive seldom does something for a single reason.

Speaking of Ciel, Sebastian reached into his pocket to check his watch; yes he would have to serve supper soon, before it got cold. Cold food would not do for the Master of the Phantomhive estate. He finished wrapping her ankle, "There does that feel better?"

"I didn’t need the help to start with, but yes, it does feel better. Thank you." She flexed her foot experimentally before hopping off the counter. Sebastian caught her before she fell as her foot gave out, he sat her back on the counter. "I don’t believe you should be moving around like that quite yet. I will arrange for a bath and, pending the lord’s choice, you will stay here for the night."

He expected a protest, not the defeated sigh he got, "Fine."

"Fine?" he asked, incredulous.

"Yes, fine, if I can’t walk how can I run and if I can’t run than it’s not safe to spend the night in the forest. But I will do something to help; I won’t lie about and do nothing." She said, daring him to argue.

The butler kept his thoughts carefully hidden from his expression, but…truth be told it might be nice to have help that would actually do their work correctly. The other servants were complete idiots in his opinion, at least at housework. Meyrin and the cook both had experience with the military and guns. The maid used to be a high grade assassin before the Phantomhive lord brought her into his service.

You would think she would have at least a modicum of grace, but no, it was a rare day if she didn’t run into something or break something.

He took in her appearance, "Bath first and then maybe we can find something for you to do."