Chapter 2: Matters of Pride

Start from the beginning

Pluto wagged his tail proudly as he displayed the girl hanging from his jaws, her shirt firmly clamped between the demon hounds fangs. The girl meanwhile glared at him haughtily from where she hung.

"Pluto drop it, Sebastian." Ciel didn’t even bother finishing the command, Sebastian knew what was needed. He caught the girl before she hit the ground, depositing her on the ground in front of Ciel, her hateful glare not withering. "We have something to discuss."

Her lips thinned, "Why on earth should I discuss anything with you?"

Sebastian leaned forward to whisper in her ear, "You should be aware you are addressing the Lord Phantomhive."

"You should be aware I don’t care." She snapped.

Sebastian blinked, the only sign that portrayed his shock. "You should care, he is the Queens-"

"Favorite lap dog, yeah I know. I’m no fool; I know who the Phantomhives are." Her blue eyes were frigid as she regarded Sebastian over her shoulder.

"All we want to know is what you know about, the disappearances of the young women. You are the only lead we have at this moment, a dancer with no known surname. The most mysterious character in the area."

"Mysterious, please, I’m hardly that, but as to the disappearances, I have no idea. Love to help but can’t, I have my own problems to deal with." Her face had softened ever so slightly, leading Ciel to believe that she told the truth. He took in her currently disheveled state, shoeless, filthy, and covered in Pluto’s slobber. "What kind of problems?"

Her eyes hardened, "None of your business."

Ciel narrowed his eyes at her, "Then you may go, Sebastian release her." Doing as he was bid the butler stepped away from the young woman still glaring at the whole lot of them, "Weren’t you leaving?" prompted Ciel.

Okay just one step at a time. She shouldn’t have stood still that long now her ankle was really hurting. She took a step, and winced when she put her weight on her injured limb, today was not moving in her favor at all.

"Are you this slow everywhere you go?" Oh god, the kid was irritating her, but she bit back the remark she was more than ready to throw back at him, she had something else to concentrate on.

The hound barked and jumped in front of her, bowing with his rear in the air, plumed tail wagging. "Go away," She muttered under her breath, "I’m not playing." Playmust have been the operative word; the dog leaped knocking her back to land on her rump, in a very undignified heap. She heard a snort of derision and directed her best icy glare in the direction of the two males that seemed insistent on annoying her that day.

The dog growled playfully and rooted her in the stomach, knocking the wind from her lungs. Still not getting the idea, he barked at her.

"Go away! I am not particularly fond of dogs to begin with, and you’re not doing anything for your species right now." His tail drooped, the picture of doggy depression. Kat felt a small shred of guilt for yelling at the playful animal but he’s caused more than his fair share of problems today. Her ankle throbbed, that being one of them.

 "Is there something wrong with you that you haven’t left yet?"

Alright forget this kid, forget this place, and forget the pain, I am leaving, now. Kat pushed the painful throb in her ankle to the back of her mind and began to walk purposefully towards the forests edge. Alright not so bad, her knee buckled and she went down hard. I spoke to soon. She tried to push herself back up but her leg wouldn’t support her weight at all now.