Chapter 2

As I arrived at home, I decided to go straight to my room. As I went in the house, I saw Uncle Arthur doing something in the kitchen. Uncle Arthur is a man of his fifties but has a body structure and a strength of a 30-year old. He saw me going up the stairs and probably heard the clicking of the door shut. Moments later, a knock came to the door of my room.

"Come in."

As the door opened, I knew right away that it was Uncle Arthur so I bowed down my head when he came in.

"Kobe?"

I lifted my head up to see him, causing him to see my eyes red with tears. He seemed to know what was going on so instead of asking, he showed a face of sadness.

"It's just... it's two of us. He has a family. I wish I was the one dealing this thing." I said as tears came running down my face.

He sat in the bed with me, patting my back. "I tried."

"I know." I whispered back at him.

A knock came at the door again. It was Sam.

"Kobe? Please sis. Talk to me."

I shook my head towards Uncle Arthur who then went towards the door to open it for Sam.

"I was about to go out too. She needs time." He said gently to Sam then at the click of the door, Uncle Arthur and Sam left. Leaving me crying and my face against the pillow.

The next day, I woke up still thinking yesterday was a dream. As I went down the staircase, I heard the cries of newly-born Prudence. Perhaps they are home, I thought. But I also hear the cries of Marei, as if she was pleading. Uncle Arthur greeted me with a sad face and Prudence in his arms as he entered the house.

"Koraline, Samuel is leaving."

It's too early, I thought. I hurriedly went outside. I saw Sam and an army truck at the streets. Sam was talking to Marei, who was in tears then Uncle Arthur approached her, then Sam kissed Prudence's forehead, then Prudence was in Marei's arms as Uncle Arthur and Sam hugged. Sooner, Sam looked at me, smiling. I went near him and hugged him.

"Take care of Prudence, will you?" He whispered.

I pulled off him, "You know I keep my promises." I whispered then we giggled softly. "Come back to me. Come back to us."

He gave a faint smile, "I promise."

I gave him a final hug then he took a ride in the truck as it left. I tapped Marei's shoulder, thinking that this should not happen if we were not Sufferers. 

Sufferers are poor beyond reason. We are only good at fishing, farming, and hunting. And I know that Sam is a good brother, provider, and father. So I know that he has to do everything for us.

Uncle Arthur should not be worried. Prudence and Marei should not have the feeling of longing.

It should have been me.