2

It had been 12 years since I had seen or spoken to Ryan Hardy. We was working a serial murder case that later became the case on Joe Carroll. The M.O's of past murders match that of my mother's death, the main similarity was the removal of the eyes. Being the daughter of a murder victim and finding the body meant that the lead detective would be contacting you often. Ryan and I spoke up until Joe was put in prison, there was no word from him after that.

"They called you here for your safety, right? Because Joe escaped." Ryan asked, trailing off slightly at the end. My eyes widened with shock, "N-No. I-Uh,Director Franklin said that he needed me to come in for work. He didn't say anything about Joe or my safety." I paused, realization soon hitting me, "That's why you're here. You're back in that damn suit and tie because Joe escaped." I exclaimed angrily. The man stood across from me wearing a look of confusion. Before he could respond two agents, Troy Riley and Jennifer Mason, called for him to follow suite.

He turned on his heel and walked into one of the large rooms. I weaved through the large group of people and into the same room. Looking around, I notice 30 or so agents scattered around the room. Some were filling out paperwork, sharing findings or listening to a younger man speak in the center of the crowd. This man stood there controlling multiple screens, explaining the build-up of Joe Carroll's murders. He spoke about "The Gothic Sea", Carroll's book, and how it's failure led to his piquerism. I silently scoffed after Ryan mumbled that the statement was inaccurate. The retired agent stood in front of the monitors,getting more in depth on Joe's perception of art and literature. Most of the room cleared after Ryan concluded his 'Joe Carroll: Tell All'attention segment. This gave the young man an opportunity to strike a conversation. He introduced himself as Agent Mike Weston before going on to gush over Ryan and his thesis on Joe.

Hardy blew him off and walked away silently. Agent Riley stepped closer to Mike as he told him that his actions were pathetic. "That man is a hero. He took down Carroll single handed." Mike stated only to have Riley point out that Ryan was still released from the bureau.

"Turner said he lost it, went crazy." Riley muttered. Mike opened his mouth to speak, but I answered before he had a chance to. "He can't be in the field anymore. Joe punctured Ryan's left ventricular when he stabbed him in the chest. He has a pacemaker to keep everything pumping." Weston's mouth hung open slightly as he agreed. "And who are you?" Troy questioned in a cocky tone. Mike cut me off and introduced, "That is Agent Dakota Wayne. She's been working for the bureau for 4 years.She also happens to be the daughter of Sherry Wayne, Carroll's 8th victim." He shot me an apologetic look once he finished speaking.

I jogged to catch up with Ryan and the others, trying to wrap all of the information around my head. "Actual books or digital files?" Ryan questioned in regards to Joe's access to the Sussex County Law Library. "Digital, but It's all archived in the libraries server." Mike informed, concentrating on the tablet in his hands. "We need to get Cyber Tech in here because it isn't that easy to stop this man." I said after taking a swig from my water bottle. With that, Mason took off to make sure that the search happened.

Minutes later screaming and shouting was heard from the entrance. We ran out to see a young woman stripped to her panties, writing covering the majority of her body. She held a screwdriver with white-knuckles. "Lord, Help my poor soul." She muttered almost silently as she drove the tool through her eye.

"It's all Poe, and what she said,those were supposedly Poe's last words." I said to Weston while he read what was on her body. Ryan agreed as he thirstily drank from his bottle; a bottle similar to mine in the sense that it did not contain water. "Is that water, sir?" Weston asked Ryan even though he seemed to know the answer already. Mike then offered a mint to Ryan,which he gladly took, and looked to me saying, "You might want one as well."