Part 10: Worth It

'Alright how about the 6th of next month?' He asked as I changed the ear my phone was held up to.

I scanned through my diary, flicking the pages towards the 6th. 'Dang it, nope, that doesn't work either! I have meetings in Manhattan that night.' I visibly frowned, even though I knew he couldn't see it.

I had gotten back from LA a few days ago and this was the first time that Chris and I had been able to properly speak since then. The original idea was to plan when we could finally go on this date, but it was proving more difficult than expected...

A blank space on my diary page did manage to catch my eye though.

'Are you free on the 9th of next month?' I asked him, a hint of hope resounding in my voice.

'Uhh, let's see, the 9th.....' He began making clicking noises with his mouth as he, assumingly, looked at his own schedule.

'Crap, nope. 9th I'm in Boston for my niece's birthday.'

I wanted to groan out loud but I settled for a sigh. It wasn't his fault and it wasn't my fault, we just couldn't seem to get it together. I hated saying it, but it made me somewhat sceptical. Even if we did somehow manage to go on this date, how on earth would we find time to see each other in general?

'Alright, realistically,' he spoke again, 'when are you next available before the day job takes off into space and you're never to be seen again?'

I flicked back through my diary, gazing at the days until I reached today again.

'Saturday.'

'As in two days from now Saturday?'

'Yep.'

'Oh man, this is bleak, it's my assistant's birthday on Saturday...' He said sorrowfully.

I couldn't help it anymore, I could feel it rising.

'AHAHAHA' I laughed loudly down the phone. I'm not sure it was the reaction he was quite expecting, as he asked 'what's so funny!?' in a confused tone.

'I don't know.' I said, shaking my head and still chuckling. 'This. Us, I guess. Why isn't anything ever normal with us?'

He let out a small laugh. 'I guess if we were normal, things would be boring.'

'If we were normal, we would have already been on a date by now.' I teased.

'And whose fault is that?' He teased back.

'You! Mr I got 99 meetings coming up and Adrian ain't one.'

'Ha! Funny.' He tried to sound serious but even though I couldn't see him, I could tell he was wearing that adorably goofy smile that I'd grown fond of.

'You seem to be locked up pretty tight too missy!' he said, still teasing.

'I know.' I sighed.

'Alright, well, if looks could kill I'd be a dead man right now. Jake, ease up a little huh, you'll get wrinkles quicker that way.' He joked to his companion. 'I'm sorry, I gotta go.' He apologized, his voice laced with guilt.

'That's okay, I better go too.' I said, as I looked up at my gym bag that was sat on the couch next to me.

'Look, leave it with me, alright?'

'Why, what do you intend to do?' I asked, intrigued.

'I'm not sure just yet, but trust me, we'll figure this out.'

'Alright, I trust you.' Although I'm not sure either of us believed me.

I couldn't tell if it was because it was coming up to my time of the month or if I was just feeling overwhelmed from my future work schedule, or perhaps even a combination of the two, but as soon as I clicked the end call button, I burst into tears.