Chapter 16 || Rakuzan High

Rakuzan High

Meanwhile...

"Reo-nee! Seijuro is not letting me play a perfectly legit move," complained Sora loudly.

"You're going to lose," said Akashi.

"Yeah."

"You don't have more than half your pieces."

"True."

"Then why the hell are you making this so annoying?" demanded Akashi, putting down a bishop with considerable force on the table.

Sora moved her knight out of the bishop's way, taking a pawn, and threatening his rook. "Why shouldn't I? You are the Shogi and Chess club's best member. You'll survive this," she said, sarcastically.

Akashi moved his rook out of the knight's way, glaring at her. "I miss Shintaro at times like this," he muttered.

"That's not very polite. To either of us," said Sora.

"Shintaro knows when to give up," said Akashi, "I want to go home, woman. I've got a long day tomorrow."

"You're the one who wanted a match," pointed out Sora.

"That's true," said Akashi, moving on of his pawns further, "I always used to play chess with Shintaro before an important event, and it was my fault for expecting that you'd be a similar substitute. You are wasting your energy though. I still have my queen."

"Now you don't," said Sora gleefully, "Thank you for moving that pawn."

"Thank you for moving that bishop. Checkmate," said Akashi, leaning back in his chair, grinning, "Looks like I will have a good day tomorrow, afterall."

"Damn. Reo-nee, Akashi won," said Sora, "Superstitious idiot..."

"Well thank goodness this is over," said Reo, closing a novel he had been reading to kill time.

"Well then I'll head back too. See you two," said Sora.

"You have a big day tomorrow too. Good luck, kouhai," said Reo.

Sora coughed nervously. "Umm... Yes, that."

"You'll make it," said Akashi casually.

"But it's no pressure," assured Reo, "After all there are a lot of older players—"

"There is," interrupted Sora, grimly, "That guy over there will probably not come within a yard of me, if I don't make it."

"That's not true, right?" said Reo, looking at Akashi for backup.

Akashi shrugged. "Anything, if it will give you incentive to win," he said, still looking at Sora.

"Being in the starting lineup is really huge, kouhai," said Reo, "I hope you make it."

Sora nodded abstractly. "Good luck to you too, senpai. I heard Shirogane-sensei will be selecting a captain tomorrow."

"That's true," said Reo, suddenly becoming restless.

"It will probably be one of you three, senpai. Right, Seijuro?"

Akashi shrugged, looking at the hoops in one corner of the court. Sora narrowed her eyes. She felt like he was enjoying some sort of private joke, but she didn't confront him because he probably wouldn't say anything in front of Reo. She decided to let it drop for the moment. "Let's go."

"You two go ahead. I'll stay here for a bit," said Akashi.

Sora sighed. "Fine then, I suppose I'll stay too."