James Sirius Potter x Reader

Requested by @Indie_Is_Indie

I gazed hungrily at the candy being held out to be by my best friend James but sadly refused. He had bought the decent sized bag while I hadn't been paying attention and had tried to sneak it into my hand without my noticing. It was pretty common for him to buy me things I had looked at discreetly no matter how many times I told him not to.

"Would you stop trying to fattening me up?!" I scolded with a lighthearted smile. He rolled his eyes before shoving the bag into my hands.

"You could use the weight. Besides, it's not like you have a boy to be chasing currently." James said as I rolled my eyes.

"Shut your trap Sirius. Where's your brother Albus?" I said using his middle name that he hated to be called by. I never quite understood why he hated it since Sirius Black was his god-grandfather and also now considered a hero after Mr. Potter cleared his name. That was back when the war happened though so no one paid it much attention these days since that was another generation.

"Don't get so touchy. I was only kidding. I heard that Scorpius was interested in you." James said raising his hands as I rolled my eyes. Of course he was still concerned with my love life. Couldn't he just realize that I've wasted the last five years at Hogwarts crushing over him? I'm starting to wonder why I hung around this long.

"I'm not interested in Scorpius! Now where did Albus go?" I asked again feeling irked. I didn't quite understand why I was so intent on finding Albus.

"But you're interested in someone? You can tell me! I'm your best friend after all." James said and I just stared at him. Was he this thick in the head? I huffed aggravatingly before stomping off away from him with the bag of candy clenched firmly in my fist. I could hear his voice calling after me worriedly but choose to ignore it as I bolted around a corner and into the nearest shop.

When I looked up, I came face-to-face with three of the meanest kids in Hogwarts - Kenneth Jordan, Jack Franklin, and Rebecca Henderson. They looked at me maliciously as I squeaked and backed away nervously pressing myself against the glass. Lucky for me that was the moment Scorpius Malfoy chose to walk in through the heavy wooden door and stare at us in shock. I gave him a pleading look as he read the atmosphere carefully. He was, after all, thought of as a nerd among our fellow peers.

"I heard Albus was looking for you, let's go!" Scorpius said nervously before dragging me out of the building that apparently was a more run down version of the Three Broomsticks. We walked a good ways before finally stopping outside of the real Three Broomsticks. "So what were you doing in there?" Scorpius asked raising a suspicious eyebrow.

"I could ask you the same question." I retorted crossing my arms and tapping my foot waiting for an explanation.

"I study in there from time-to-time. What's your excuse because I'd be amazed to see you pick up a textbook and actually read it." Scorpius replied and I rolled my eyes.

"I was escaping James." I replied looking away from him and at the ground. I hated trying to avoid my best friend but it just hurt to love him so much and have him be completely clueless -even when I tried to give him hints about it.

"Don't look now but the man who should've been your knight is on his way over here looking livid." Scorpius whispered in my ear before disappearing inside the popular hangout place leaving me standing there in fright as an angry James Sirius Potter strode over to me.

"Oh hey James. I didn't see you there." I said trying to sound casual but came out sounding slightly terrified. I was surprised when he pulled me into a tight hug and began cursing under his breath. "What's gotten into you all of the sudden?" I asked feeling my face heat up from the close contact with his warm chest and arms that engulfed my smaller form.

"I was worried when I saw Kenneth, Rebecca, and Jack in the street where you had disappeared. I thought they might've done something to you." He said as I sighed feeling a little disappointed. Maybe I had expected him to say that he thought I ran off with Scorpius but really he was just concerned like any other friend would have been.

"No Scorpius saved me from that drama." I said pushing him off of me as I turned to walk away only for him to grab my wrist. "What?" I asked looking up at him only to find a strange look on his face that resembled almost some type of anger. My heart lurched hoping he was jealous of Scorpius but I forced myself to remain calm. There was no way that could be true.

"N-nothing never mind." He said quickly releasing my wrist as I gave him an odd look. This wasn't normal of James and I knew that for a fact. This was him acting awkward like Scorpius did around Rose and I suddenly found a bit of amusement in seeing him loose his cool.

"It's not nothing. What is it James?" I asked pressing forward as he turned his face to the side looking nervous as his cheeks tinted a slight red.

"It was just an impulse really. Nothing important."

"Liar."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Am not."

"James, you're being a child just spit it out already." I said not wanting to continue the childish banter back and forth.

"I was jealous okay?!" He blurted out and I stared at him wide-eyed.

"Jealous of what?" I asked feeling a bit confused. James never acted like this before now so what was the sudden change?

"I was jealous that Scorpius is the one who came to your rescue alright? You want me to spell it out for you?" He asked embarrassed and obviously a little annoyed.

"Pinch me." I said looking him dead in the eye and he looked at me just as confused as I had been before.

"Excuse me?"

"Just do it." I ordered and he reached over and pinched me on the arm causing me to yelp.

"What was the point in that?" He asked as I stared at him confused.

"I thought I must be having a dream." I replied honestly and he laughed a bit relieving the earlier tension.

"You're pretty strange (l/n)." James said and I shrugged. "That's just one of the many thing I fell for first." I immediately began choking on my spit as he began patting my back looking panicked.

"For a moment I thought you said that you liked me." I said trying to regain my breath as he chuckled.

"That's because I did. Do I have to write it on parchment for you to finally understand it? Why else would I always be asking about your love life or buying you things?" James said chuckling as I stared up at him in surprise.

"Kbhgvfkaga." I felt the jumble of letters explode from my mouth in surprise as I suddenly pulled him into a tight hug not even able to keep a composed state of mind.

"I've always liked you (nickname)." He said as I pulled back slightly and looked into his eyes. I could feel the grin that covered my face explode with a fit of giggles as I managed to say.

"I've always been the same way James. I've been crushing on you since first year." I said as he joined in with my laughter.

"I guess we are both pretty thick when it comes to noticing things huh?" He said and I smiled in agreement.

"Yeah, but that's one of the many things I like about James Sirius Potter." I said before kissing him boldly on the lips and pulling away just as quickly as we began laughing once again.

"We sure are strange."