The Man Who Leapt Through Time

Robin dozed on the couch peacefully, thinking of nothing and everything as Wally flipped through channels next to him. They were sitting close, Dick using the other body to prop himself into a comfortable position.
    He was in his normal sunglasses and sweatshirt, sporting a pair of sweatpants rather than his usual jeans. He could barely hear the sounds of voices and laughter, which seemed to be coming from a place much further than the tv.
   He was just about to transcend into a deeper sleep when the crackle of his comm link woke him with a start.
    "Come in, Robin," Batman's voice came from the other side of the com, sounding as stoic as ever to most, but Robin could hear a tinge of urgency through it. After knowing The Bat for years, Dick was finally able to decipher the little differences in the way he spoke which conveyed some feeling.
    He shot into an upward position, hitting the button on his comm before responding alertly, "I read you, Batman." It could be nothing, but Robin had learned to always be alert when his mentor contacted him.
    "Meet me in the cave. Now," the command came almost immediately, and he could hear the sound of Batman disconnecting on the other side. This guy. Always so mysterious.
    He bolted off the couch, giving an apologetic shrug to Wally as he exited the living room. He knew the speedster's feelings were probably just a tiny bit hurt, because Wally was more sensitive than he seemed. He'd make it up to him later, he decided as he jumped on his motorcycle and began to sped toward Gotham.
    The night was quiet and brisk and he drove at top speed. His clothes weren't nearly thick enough to keep him warm in the early November weather. He allowed his mind to wander during the hour ride. He briefly wondered what the Wayne was calling him to the cave for but he mostly thought of Wally.
   They had been a secret item for close to a year now after establishing feelings that stayed silent for too long. The memory came to him fondly:
    He was tired, and sore after a particularly rough mission. His energy was completely zapped and Wally was helping into Mount Justice. His heart had pounded so wildly despite his fatigue. He couldn't help it, his arm draped over the redhead's shoulder, and their bodies pressed so very closely together. He'd tripped just before the entrance, and Wally immediately came down to catch him. When their eyes met through their masks, Robin had no more doubts and gladly received the tentative kiss that had been laid against his lips. The rest had been history.
   He was smiling to himself as he reached the manor. He made a point of contorting his face into one of indifference and he entered and made his way towards the cave. It was a little weird not to have Alfred upstairs if they were expecting him, if he was in the cave it could be pretty serious.
   He picked up his pace, he could almost hear voices. He moved a little faster, transitioning into a sprint and could make out a particularly young sounding voice as he made it into the cave.
    "Yes that is what I am trying to tell you, father," the voice sounded exasperated, and stopped short as he entered the center of the room. All eyes were on him.
    He regarded the kid for a moment. His hair was short and slicked back, like Bruce's. His eyes were greenish blue and piercing, and seemed to pop due to his clothing. His... Robin suit? Dick couldn't mistake that 'R' on the chest for anything. It was definitely a Robin suit.
    Just as he opened his mouth to speak, the kid stood up, taking a few little steps toward him. "Grayson? Is that really you?"
    His heart thudded in his chest, this kid knew him. He knew his true identity. But even beyond that the kid's voice made him feel different. It seemed so new to his ears but familiar to him somehow.
    "Who is this kid?" He asked, turning to Bruce with some effort. He felt strangely mesmerized by the kid's intense stare. The way his eyes glinted into the dimly lit cave, the way he was staring made breathing a little harder for reasons Robin couldn't even think to explain.
    "This is Damian," he gestured, catching Robin's eye a he spoke impassively. "Damian Wayne, and he's Robin from the future." His explanation was blunt and simple, straight to the point.
    He stared at his adoptive father in disbelief. Wayne? Robin? Future? What the hell was going on?
   "And you're Richard Grayson," Damian interjected, his eyes never leaving leaving Dick's perplexed face.
    "How do you know that?" He all but groaned, looking back at the younger kid. He guessed that he was only a year or so younger than his seventeen year old self.
    A smirk quirked at the corner of Damian's mouth. "We are acquainted in the future, to say the least," he reciprocated, giving Dick a look. "You get taller," was all he said before walking toward the stairs, out of the cave.
   He raised an eyebrow at Bruce, causing him to remove the cowl and expose his face. He looked stressed out, who wouldn't be?
   "He got forced back by standing too close to Flash when out on a mission with Batman. Batman not meaning me," he sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose. "And as his name would suggest; he is my son. I don't know how because he won't say anymore than that. He won't even tell me who this future bat is. But until we find out how to get him back to where he belongs, I need your help keeping an eye on him while I'm busy with League business," he finished, looking down at his pseudo-son with a tired expression.
   Dick nodded immediately. He didn't like the kid very much, but also felt a strange sort of draw to him that he couldn't ignore.