Chapter 1

His eyes flickered towards mine and they locked for a few, fleeting moments. My heart was pounding, just from this miniscule connection between us. It left me with a high that no substance could ever provide. He looked away quickly, his smile shrinking a little, his charm remained intact however. A small laugh escaped from his lips as he looked around the classroom.

'He' is in fact, my teacher, Chris Matthews. I shouldn't be fantasizing about 'him', but I can't help myself. His beautiful smile envelops me and turns my entire body to mush. Just thinking about him is enough to make me lose complete concentration of everything. It's always been like that, since my first day of high school, in year seven. I knew, from right there and then, I love him. You're probably going to think this is just a very far-fetched high school crush and that I need to grow up and pull myself together. But no. I'm sixteen years old now and I love him more than I ever have done. But it's different now, it's not a silly crush like I know it used to be, I love every inch of him; his eyes and how they look down with modesty when someone compliments him, the way he runs his fingers through his soft, dark hair when he walks into the classroom and the way his smile lights up the entire room almost immediately.

And once again, I had completely lost concentration, from just that one little, but glorious, smile.

"Coursework catch-up is on tonight, I'll stay after school for as long as you need me, I know that quite a few of you are very behind on your English coursework, I expect to see as many of you there as possible please." He announced to the class.

Brilliant! A reason to spend alone time with him. I knew no one would stay behind, no one ever usually stayed, so it just resulted in him marking books or planning lessons. The prospect of spending as much time as I wanted with him, alone, after school was enough to keep me in a great mood all day.

It was last lesson, and the clock seemed to tick slower than usual, but when the clock struck three and the bell finally rung I rushed out of the classroom as fast as I could. I stopped just before his door and checked my makeup. My face was a little shiny, so I powdered it quickly before discretely slipping a breath mint inside my mouth. Just in case.

I appeared in the doorway gracefully, my skirt a little shorter than what was normally acceptable at school and my hair was loosely curled and hanging over my shoulders casually.

"Ah, Carmen," He sounded surprised. "I wouldn't think you'd need help with your coursework, you're top of the class!"

"Oh, I err, just wanted to make sure it was okay, if that's okay..." I stuttered and stammered, embarrassing myself.

"Sure, that's fine. I'd be happy to help you." He smiled. Oh, that smile, that woundingly beautiful smile that had me weak at the knees. "Sit down, Carmen."

He pulled out the chair next to him and I put my bag on the floor and got a laptop and began logging on. My heart was racing, I was so close to him, there was nothing to stop me from leaning over and kissing his beautiful lips.

We had been sat for about half an hour, talking about books and films and music and laughing over stupid jokes, whilst barely even scrolling through my work. This was a new breakthrough.

"Okay, now. Let's get back to the coursework I think." He got up and leant right over my shoulder and continued reading. I could smell his wonderful aftershave, it was sweet, yet manly and it made me want him more. I looked up at him, my head was in the nook of his neck, and he looked down into my eyes. His deep, blue eyes seemed to be never ending. We stayed like that for a good few minutes. Just, admiring. The space between began to get too big, and slowly, he moved his head closer to mine and soon our faces were millimetres away from each other.

Just then, the worst possible thing could have happened.

Alan Rudrick, the head of department and professionial dick-head popped his head around the corner of the door.

"Err..." His eyes flickered between me and Chris, I could imagine how this would have looked to him, and how much trouble Chris would be in if Mr. Rudrick read too far into it, "Just a quick reminder, Karen's not in tomorrow so you're covering her Period 2 tomorrow, thanks." He took one final scope of the otherwise empty classroom and left.