v̅ = ½(v + v0)

subway car - marc e. bassy

My thumb swipes upwards to the next chapter. I'm by myself, sitting on the ledgy bench. The sky isn't blue enough. Little creepy crawly demons roam in the grass. Pimps slow their speed, as they drive by campus grounds. I closely read sensual words in my head, which affects my pulse's rhythm. Something or someone sits next to me, interrupting my vibe.

"Hey."

"Really?" I question. It's Étienne, sure. And he looks at me funny, wondering why I haven't said 'hey' as well. "You're just going to interrupt my reading?"

"What were you reading?" he looks over my phone's screen, after I shut it.

Harry Styles Daddy Kink on wattpad. But he doesn't need to know that.

"Whatever it was, it was good. And you ruined it."

"Are you going to check out the gym?" he asks, taking out a granola bar from his backpack and also ignoring my tantrum.

I decide, since Étienne is insistent on having a prolonged conversation about current events, to take my earbuds down.

"No," I answer with a shoulder shrug, even though I'm supposed to meet Alex there.

He looks at me, "Then do you want to go to the mattress shop now?"

Oh, I had forgotten—we were supposed to go over the weekend, but I slept in and he went to basketball practice.

"Sure," I stare at the sun.

It's not really there. It's kind of hiding in the clouds. I wrap my things into my own bag, before handing it to Étienne. Birds chirp, interrupting my thoughts.

"Hold my bag."

"Why?" he frowns, standing to his feet with me.

"So people think we're a thing."

He grins, appreciating my humour. I flip my hair back. I just don't want to carry it, because it's heavy.

"Because," he says, cocking a brow, "Telling my friends 'I have to pick out a new mattress with Sisi' doesn't cut it."

That makes me laugh a bit. Everyone we know knows now. Only because my bestie Alex made a joke about it at a party over the summer. Back to school and things are awkward. I keep my bag and throw it on my back.

Since we've agreed to be roommates, like a year after the fact, Étienne needed the bed to upgrade. It's too small for him. The springs are old and screechy. Let's just say he had a whole list going on. I was ready to tell him off to get his own apartment. Frankly, my apartment barely fits me, let alone a giant like him. But it was hard to give him up, since he pays most of the rent and Hydro.

We walk into the student parking lot and find his 2010 Mazda GX whatever. I told this fool not to get a Mazda, because they rust easy. He didn't listen.

"You know what Atasha said to me today?" I start ranting, as he drives.

"What?"

I imitate her high pitch—more like high bitch—voice, "Oh my God, Sisi. I didn't know you were into French cocks!"

He laughs, "Wow."

"Yeah. Yeah. I know. What a bitch."

"It must be real tough for you," he stretches sarcastically.

I lower my brows and add, "Let me guess—"

"No, no. don't guess," he tells me, wearing a big grin.