Chapter II: The Power of Knowing and not Knowing

Perhaps those who say, “Ignorance is bliss” aren’t as far off as I once believed. Knowing this new reality was in fact reality helped me in no way for my hope of an awaking was lost. I looked at the beautiful vase of flowers before me. These beautiful red flowers thrived in the small ceramic vase of which held small reflective tiles of finely polished gold. A thought then occurred to me, these flowers will be long turned into ash by the time I enter this world, but yet here they are beautiful and brilliant.

“Oh my!” I spun myself around surprise to see Caesar here already. “What in the name of Olympus happened to your arm?”

“It seems my human form has become far too human, I am not use to the notion of injury and I am not quite sure how to care for this ever bleeding break in my skin. Would you so mind assisting me?” Skepticism took his features though still he led me to the fountain and gently unwrapped the stained cloth from my wrist. Again he looked up to me in question. In response I smiled meekly down at him ashamed of my carelessness.

“Vitus My dear son come at once and bring the healing herbs” Caesar continued on about his son how he was gifted in many areas of study including medicine.

“Yes father I’m here I brought the herbs and a cloth what do you need?” Vitus sorted through the materials he had gathered in a woven basket before looking up in astonishment at my presence. “I see we have an injured guest care to introduce me? If not now I see no better time since it seemed to have slipped your mind previous to now.”

“Ah yes but of course. It is my pleasure to introduce you my son to this wonderful Goddess who came to us in our humble home.” Caesar introduced.

“Hardly a goddess in my eyes. What is your name and of where do you hail? My father and I do not appreciate the type to lie of their identity for most often than not they are the ones to hold no trust with their fellow neighbors.” Vitus was quick to see through my façade, though I was quicker to defend my life they way I saw fit.

I took my feet firmly beneath me and peered him almost directly in the eye, only a few inches kept me from meeting his height exactly. “How dare you question my word you mortal child. Have you no respect for those who grant you life and well being?” My voice was stern, and loud enough to carry through the house. Again thunder rumbled and a harsh wind blew his hair back while mine neatly surrounded my head, and with the sun shining from behind me a glowing arc through my hair was created .

“It seems we have quite a deal to discuss, let me dress your wound as we do so. I would hate to see you pain grow anymore than it already has.” Vitus was only slightly fazed. He kneeled down and patted the edge of the glories marble fountain indicating that I too should take a seat. The spike of pain that ran up to my neck from my injured wrist defeated any stubbornness I had left.

“See you are already warming up to me, give it another hour and perhaps you will tell me the truth.” His breath was cool as he whispered in my ear.

“Do your job slave and anger me no more.” I glared at him mostly out of fear that he would find the truth and then have me slaughtered for it if not worse.

With a slight chuckle he went to work. Caesar had left sometime during our exchange so we were left alone in the glowing garden.

 “You don’t have to tell me who you are now, though yes eventually I would hope I can earn your trust enough for you to tell me yourself.” Vitus stated with annoying assurance. “For now though, how did you get here?”

I didn’t want to say anything to him, nothing that would give me away any further, but his question sparked a train of thoughts. Had I fell down a rabbit hole? Perhaps I was kidnapped drugged and brought here so I couldn’t run away. With either faulty explanation the question still stood as firm as before.  “I- I don’t know” I whispered to myself.

“It may then be that I was correct to assume what I had about you.” He replied while rubbing a creamy paste around my wound. “When I peered out the window this morning, the first sight I saw was a large mound fall from the sky. I saw it land in the wheat field, I thanked my stars it wasn’t the vineyard, Jupiter knows how I love my wine, speaking of which we should allow you a glass once I am done with this bloody mess. Either way, I was waiting for the earth to rumble beneath my feet upon your landing, but it never did. Curiously I ventured out to see what had become of the object but was rudely halted by the guards and ordered to remain within the bounds of the walls. Not long after a bustle of slaves came hurdling themselves through the gates with cries of freedom littering the air. I demanded they inform me at once but all they said was a Goddess has come as our savior. Rubbish of course as we both know. I will admit though that how impressed I am that you managed to turn my father into a fool. Congratulations, I hope you do not abuse your power over him. A girl? How peculiar. I was expecting so much more.” For the first time since he began working on my cut he looked up at me. “Or rather so much less.” I held his gaze in question.

 “Well less would have only been a foot of mine, you should be beyond pleased I arrived in a single fully assembled piece thanks to my mother might I add.” This boy brought out the worst in me for a reason too far out for me to quite grasp.

“Has my work met your satisfaction?” Vitus asked innocently still kneeling by my feet.

“I suppose though stitches joined by some antibiotics would have been far more efficient.” Mild disappointment shone in his eyes. “But this smells better. Do you think it will scare?” I added to lift his spirits. I haven’t the faintest idea why my first reaction was to attack him.

“I am afraid so.” Was all he had to say.

“Good. I will have something to show the valiant effort I made in the war against the Mongols.” I stated proudly only to humor him and myself. Laughter could lessen the tension, so I hoped.

“Mongols? War? A woman no less? Hard to think anyone could believe such a fib.” He roared with laughter.

“A woman fighting a war is no laughing matter Vitus. With superior knowledge we could win all your wars twice over.” We battered on through to the noon hour.

“My, my lady, you do have a splendid sense of humor. Join me for lunch! I insist. Your presence will brighten the day of any lucky fool including myself. Do not I beg force me to bid farewell to your joyous light.”

“Vitus, my dear boy oh course I will join you for a midday meal, you still owe me that splendid glass of wine you promised earlier.” I winked at him and again a roar of laughter broke from him.

“For you anything.” Vitus informed me. A blush crept up my cheeks before I was reminded by the evil part in my mind that held to life far too dearly, this man already didn’t trust me, for good reason, I claimed to be a god of Olympus when I was so obviously not. Could this be a trap? Was he only acting a friend until I released my secrets into his greedy ears? His curious eyes searched me, so I responded with all I could think of at the moment.

“You are too kind.” With that we linked arms and made our way from the garden.

As we passed through the pillars surrounding the garden I noticed the intricate designs carved into the bass. The meticulous design was astonishing. I broke our link to marvel at the incredible artwork too small to notice from afar.

“I was going to take a carriage or at least a horse, but if you so wish we can walk the stoned streets. My home is full of intricate artwork. Many do not seem to care to take the time to marvel such as yourself. I can show you all my favorite places and pieces.” Vitus proposed.

“I thought the wine was you favorite piece of art?” I countered with only half force.

“It would be a misleading to say other wise for you are correct, wine is my favorite part of art. The art of culinary is my favorite, that though does not deny the remainder of my heart passion for the other fields.” Vitus informed me.

“I see. In my studies though I learned of the food never once could I taste authentic roman cuisine. Perhaps once I taste the cuisine my heart may choose to favor it above all else as well. Let us hurry, my excitement is ever growing!” I exclaimed and then we were off to wander down the stone streets of Rome.