The Mirror of Erised

Start from the beginning

'What about Castiel, does he know anything?' said Harry.

'I asked him and he's never heard of him,' Sherlock said.

'Oh well. You'll keep looking while I'm away, won't you?' Hermione asked.

'Yeah and you can ask your parents, it'll be safe asking them,' said Ron.

'Very safe, seeing as they're both dentists,' she smirked.

'I'll try and ask Mycroft.'

'Oh and get Castiel to ask his parents too,' said Ron.

Later that day, after John had dozed off during lunch, he found himself sneaking around downstairs with Sherlock, already deeply regretting not going to Charms.

'Why couldn't we wait until after lessons?' he hissed.

'Because there would be more of a chance of someone recognising us. This way there'll only be sixth and seventh-years there, if that, and they can't tell one first-year from another,' he whispered back, pushing John into a shadowy alcove and holding their breath, hoping that Gabriel, who was walking down the corridor, wouldn't see them. Gabriel did, of course, see them, but chose to ignore them. He remembered his own antics as a first-year, that seemed so very long ago, and smiled as he walked past them.

After he was gone, John relaxed somewhat.

'Lucy is a sixth-year,' John pointed out.

'It's ok, she has Transfiguration, I checked earlier.'

They were going down a very sunny corridor and it lifted John's spirits and even alleviated some of his tiredness. They took a right turn by a stack of barrels into another light and airy corridor, where they found the doors to the laundry room.

It was almost the same size as the Entrance Hall. One side was lined with Hagrid-sized wooden barrels while the other was stacked ceiling-high with neatly folded robes. John stared in awe at the barrels as a large pile of dirty robes threw themselves, one by one, into one of the barrels, where they proceeded to be scrubbed clean by large scourers and then hung themselves up to dry on a line at the far side of the room. While John was taking all of this in, Sherlock had already dashed over to the Slytherin stack and was digging through them to find some that would fit the both of them.

'Aha!' he exclaimed, pulling some from near the bottom of the stack. He threw some at John, who barely caught them. Without wasting any time, Sherlock pulled off his robes and stowed them in his schoolbag, before throwing the Slytherin ones over his head, doing all of this before John had even registered that he needed to take his clothes off. He copied Sherlock, getting a little tangled in the unfamiliar robes, and finally they were ready to go. They ran as fast as they could down to the dungeons. Sherlock slid to a halt in front of a stone wall and John bumped into him.

'Warn me next time you do that,' he grumbled. Sherlock ignored him and studied the wall for a second before whispering 'Parseltongue' at it. It slowly slid open, groaning as stone rubbed against stone.

They entered the empty common room, bathed in an eerie green light.

'We must be under the lake,' Sherlock muttered. John looked around at the cold, roughly hewn walls and at the ornate ebony fireplace. There were two elegant doors set into the wall at the back of the room. Sherlock examined the one on the left.

'This one's the girls',' he said.

'How do you know?'

'Traditionally, the girls' dormitories are on the left side of the room. It's the same in Gryffindor and Ravenclaw Tower and I assume it's also the case in the Hufflepuff common room.'