Chapter Five: Exhaustion or Determination

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

Moral of that story: Dylan feels the need to save everyone without looking at the bigger picture.

I was certain that now that Max had caught Dylan's interest, he wouldn't stop until he found out why he felt like he knew Max.

I looked at Dan with a raised eyebrow and she shrugged back at me. I shook my head and grabbed the bottled water from the desk. I uncapped it and drank nearly half the bottle. I was trying to keep myself awake though it proved harder than expected. I tilted my head to my right and left roughly to crack it.

"Oh, right! It's almost your birthday!" Dan said looking away from her nails and looked at me with a wide smile. Dan loved throwing parties and being surrounded by a lot of people.

I groaned softly and shook my head in disapproval. "What? No, it isn't."

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Dylan said, snapping his fingers and pointed at me, "What do you want for your birthday this year? I never know what to get for you because it's on Christmas Eve."

"Right!?" Dan agreed, "like, am I supposed to get you two presents because Christmas is the next day or do I just get you something for your birthday?" She asked shrugging her shoulders, "You never ask for anything specific either."

Dylan pouted softly, "You should be a little selfish on your birthday, you know?"

"Why would I purposely be an inconvenience to everybody just because it's my birthday?" I asked in confusion, "Thats ridiculous."

I never understood the concept of birthdays and I was always looked at weird because I never wanted a party. My parents threw a party for me every year despite my protests. They were never anything big. Just my parents, Dylan, Dan, and myself. We would celebrate the week before since my birthday landed on a holiday. On the day of, my parents would make a big deal of my birthday. With presents and singing the birthday song mixed with Christmas songs. I never hated their attitudes towards my birthday, I just didn't understand what was so special about it.

Millions of people are born and die everyday. It felt weird to celebrate my life when someone somewhere could be losing theirs. I always get scolded for my way of thinking, especially by Dylan, Dan, and my dad.

Mom was supportive. She explained that even if I didn't want to celebrate, that it was more of a celebration for both dad and her for giving birth to a healthy son. So, every year I would celebrate in some way with them.

I still wouldn't accept any presents though. Why would I want money wasted on a present when it could have been going towards the bills? Dylan and Dan always got me some sort of present. If it was too expensive I would give it back to them immediately. Expensive gifts made me uncomfortable. I didn't do anything that required for such things.

"It's because you're definitely allowed to be selfish! It's the day of your birth for God's sake, Mikhail. Learn to function like a proper human, please." Dan teased with a smile on her face.

Dylan laughed and nodded in agreement, "Is your dad planning anything?" He asked.

"I don't know." I said honestly, "This is the first year without mom. He mentioned something but I said no." Dylan's and Dan's smile was wiped off of their face as I said that.

Mom died in her sleep on the twenty-sixth. Doctors swear that she held on that long so we wouldn't have a bad Holiday. Whether I truly believed that or not was a different matter.