1 ;

The office was a mess

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

The office was a mess. Cups of coffee scattered across the table, some detectives were fast asleep while others were dozing off. The chief was red-eyed, staring at the phone on the middle of the table. 

Crimes were at their highest. 

The big board behind them was a mess of red, green and yellow strings, pictures upon pictures of unknown people, possible suspects, already dead people. Baekhyun's eyes strayed to one particular officer, he was the only one wide awake, alongside him and the chief. He was up all night. 

Kim Hyungsik was an amazing officer, and at the beginning of the year he was living the life, until his whole world had been turned upside down with the kidnapping of his girlfriend and the death of his sister Kim Mijoo. First to start the chain of murders lining up. The crimes were meticulously done, planned carefully as if the murderer had picked each victim himself, learned about them better than anyone else in their life and stunned them with death. 

The phone rang with a shrill noise, waking the others and the chief immediately put it on speaker. 

"Talk to me. Did you find anything at all?" The chief said frustrated.

"No sir, not a thing, we asked the people living here, it's a pretty tightly knit community they've never seen anyone like him. It's a conservative residential place, mostly middle class people so a murder in a Ferrari is far from something that a person from here would do." The person from the other side line spoke.

Oh, and the murder liked to kill in style. 

The chief kicked his chair to a corner of the room, barking orders to other officers around him. He hastily cut off the phone call only instructing the officer to report back to the station. 

"I want Minho to track down the car, look for stolen car reports! Hyungsik, Baekhyun go get the autopsy reports from all suspects he's killed before! Go I don't want excuses!"  

"The only investigation assigned here in years and it had to be a serial killing."

-

Hyungsik was silent, he always had been a silent person. The officer's often got rowdy on breaks, they only chatted at work and they were only silent when they were browsing through the web to find comedy shows or searching up superhero theories. It was no wonder the chief's hair was already greying and patience thinning day by day, it didn't help that their sector never got assigned cases, and it always hit a nerve in Hyungsik . At least, that's what Baekhyung could gather from every single time Hyungsik looked at the chief, eyeing his angry form before ordering everyone to be quiet.

He was the type of person you could listen to. Hell, you would be inhuman not to, the boy was full of silent charm, when he spoke that multiplied by double. His voice was deep, he was good with his words and knew exactly what to say. He spoke with a rich vocabulary, and he was multi-lingual, fluent in the English language,  which helped when clueless tourists managed to stumble in.

Baekhyun was interested in finding out more about him. It seemed insensitive to say it, but ever since his sister's death, Baekhyun had been paying close attention to him. It was not pity, certainly not, but something else. Curiosity, almost. 

Maybe that was why Baekhyun was so awkward around him.

He cleared his throat with a cough "Do you know where to go? You sure we're not lost or something?" 

Hyungsik only curtly nodded and Baekhyun didn't expect anymore words from him.

"I've been here before."  

"Oh," Baekhyun felt stupid while answering, he felt stupid every single time he spoke to him. 

"Oh yeah, your sister." Baekhyun felt even more idiotic and his cheeks flushed with embarrassment "I'm sorry I was just...curious."

"It's okay. I know you're curious, a lot of people are, not something you can help. You didn't do anything wrong." He paused in his steps "You have the right to be curious and I have no right to hate you, honestly, it's not like you killed her."

Baekhyun nodded in agreement, pointing at the hospital in front of them. They entered inside, it was a busy place. Nurses were running around with bright cheery smiles plastered on their faces. 

"What type of glue did they plaster those smiles with? They're never ending," Baekhyun mumbled under his breath. Hyungsik gave him a strict look, but Baekhyun only replied with a nonchalant shrug and grin. The Hyunksik did all the talking and Baekhyun just hung behind him, both hands in pockets, fidgeting back and forth on his heel. 

"Stay here, I'll go and get the files."

Baekhyun waved at him and collapsed on one of the pastel colored plastic chairs, rubbing his eyes. Pulling an all-nighter had done him no good, and he wondered why he didn't sleep while the others did. Then again, under the morbid circumstances he couldn't bring himself to close his eyes. Every time he would go to close his eyes, he caught a glance at Hyungsik's face, remembered the night of patrol where he could've saved his life from going downhill and his sleep disappeared as a nauseating feeling of guilt pooled in him.

A tap on his shoulder jolted him from his thoughts.

"Byun Baekhyun?" A sickly sweet voice said

He turned

"I want answers."

-

ya girl has a history exam tomorrow + math ugh.