Chapter 22: Friendly advice

Maybe I'm amazed at the way you pulled me out of time,

You hung me on the line.
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you.

Maybe I'm Amazed - Wings

MY HEAD FELT like a merry-go-round when I opened my eyes the morning after Lena's housewarming party. I groaned in pain and instantly felt someone moving in my bed and, on the corner of my eye, saw the TV was on. I panicked briefly unable to recall how I arrived home let alone who I brought to my bed.

"Dude, you move like crazy when you sleep! I don't know how your men put up with you," Amy whined answering all of my unasked questions.

"I don't have men in my life," I weakly replied while turning around and lying flat on my back. In one move, I stuck my leg out of the comforter and placed my foot on the floor using an old technique that always works to stop the world from spinning while I'm hungover.

"It certainly looked like you did last night," she insisted staring straight at the TV screen, aimlessly surfing through the channels.

"Ugh," I groaned pulling a pillow over my head in distress, "that happened in real life?"

"You bet it did! They were going all UFC around you," she giggled. "I thought those two were the reincarnation of Gandhi, but it turned out they needed some Livie to go all Chuck Norris on us!"

Her comment made me laugh, my head twitching immediately, I whined, "Why did you let me drink that much?"

"You're such a baby when it comes to drinking," her head shaking in disapproval as if I had let her down.

It was around 2 in the afternoon when I was finally able to crawl out of bed, mainly due to the annoying whines of Amy begging me to feed her. I pulled an oversized white t-shirt over my head, slipped on a pair of leggings, and basically glued my big sunglasses to my face, to leave the house in the hunt for food at my friend's request.

We sat at the patio of a cute little restaurant near my house and ordered as much greasy food as we possibly could to help me ease my pounding head and growling stomach. Amy got up to go to the bathroom and the sound of my phone inside the purse I used the night before, and didn't open since then, caught my attention. I grabbed it, the lightened screen revealing it was an incoming call from Adam.

"Hi," I said trying to make my voice sound human.

"Liv, I been trying to contact you all morning...I'm so sorry for my behavior last night...I- "he huffed," I don't know what got into me, I'm truly sorry."

"Don't be, it's okay," was all I could manage to say.

"I was wondering if maybe we could meet later to talk, I'd like to explain it better in person," he said almost pleading.

"Not today, I don't feel good, but we can meet later in the week if you want."

I heard him humming in doubt and without much enthusiasm said, "Sure, I'll call you...get better, drink water!"

Amy came back from the bathroom and mouthed, "Who is it?"

"Thanks, Adam I will," I said raising my eyebrows and stressing his name as an answer to Amy's question, "Bye!"

The waiter brought a Bloody Mary that Amy insisted I should drink to ease my hangover, such an Amy move to cure alcohol outcomes with more alcohol,  and a Virgin Mojito for her.

"I have to say, I'm a bit of team Adam," she said playing with the straw inside her glass.

I shook my head and smiled while going through my forgotten phone. I was surprised when I found there were five missed calls from Harry and one voice message.