Chapter 28 - She's On The Hunt

Start from the beginning

Brody raised an eyebrow and looked back over at Saxon, “I thought you would have teamed up with the love of your life, since, you know, you loudly confessed it.”

Lifting my arm up off his shoulders, I brought the palm of my hand flat across the back of his head. A loud thwacking sound echoed for a moment and he cringed, “What the heck Eva?”

“I could say the exact same Brody,” I snapped back, “Just get over it all already.”

“Who is Saxon even chasing?” Brody asked as he lounged on the wooden park bench, under the shade of a large gum tree.

Shrugging as I flopped back down on to the seat next to him, “Some wolf.”

“Some wolf,” he scoffed, copying my words. “You’re telling me you don’t even know who or why you are chasing someone with him?”

‘Well duh Brody, of course I know who I'm chasing and why, it’s your stupid new dodgy mate’...but I couldn’t exactly say that out loud to him, now could I?

“Just someone who we need information from,” I mumbled, looking out across the road at all the little shops lined up, people coming and going, but at a leisurely pace. This town wasn’t too bad actually, it had a nice serenity feel to it.

“We?”

“Huh?” I frowned, looking back over at him.

Brody narrowed his eyes with suspicion, “You just said ‘we need information’ Eva.”

“No I didn’t,” I mumbled, rolling my eyes and looking away quickly since I'm not a very good liar.

“Yes-.”

He started to argue back, but Saxon’s voice filled my mind, blocking out whatever Brody had to say. ‘She’s coming your way!’ He roared furiously and I jumped to my feet, my head snapping to the left and then to the right, trying to determine which way she was going to come from.

“What is it?” Brody growled, standing up alongside me and I raised a finger to my lips to shush him.

His mate was good; you couldn’t tell where she was by sniffing for her scent, so I had to rely on my hearing alone. Tilting my head slightly to the left and closing my eyes, I tuned out the footsteps of people, the sounds of cars, children’s laughter, any sound that I knew did not belong to one of a wolf.

The faintest thumping sound filled my ears and I concentrated on it even more, listening only to the sound of what I swear were paws running across bitumen. Why she doesn’t know the supposed wolf laws of ‘never running in wolf form in a public place’ is beyond me, she obviously is like me and just had no one ever tell her.

Snapping my head to the left and opening my eyes, I saw her. Brody gasped loudly as she bolted across the road, breaking out from a side street, and ran off into the woods lining the edge of town. She never spared a glance for Brody or me.

“You’re hunting my mate!” Brody roared, turning on me with a ticked off expression.

Meeting his eyes for a brief moment, “I’ll explain later, but I need to catch her,” and I took off, leaving a cursing and violently angrily brother behind.

Not that he stayed behind for very long, Brody was quick to start running up behind me as I took off after his mate.

Breaking through the trees, I watched the back of her furry body disappear further up ahead in the bushes. My eyes glanced around for a split second and I noticed a half fallen tree, quickly running up onto it and down the length before leaping off the end and flying through the air, ‘Better catch me,’ I whispered in my mind.