This is something I hated about me. I always cling to the person I'm  closest to when I'm upset. And yes, even though I just met Noah and probably shouldn't trust him yet, there was no one closer to me there. 

He wrapped is arm around my shoulder, and I shuddered from his warmth. It was summer, but night had fallen and the sunlight no longer provided heat. 

I smiled. I was actually content. I mean, I was in a kidnapper's home, but at least I had comfort. At least I had a guarantee that I was going to live.

"NOAH!", an angry voice roared from outside the door.

"Oh crap..",Noah winced. "That's my dad. Uh..just lay in bed okay?"

"Okay.", I nodded, while spreading out the crumpled sheet back onto myself.

Noah opened up the door a crack, then slid out. I heard him walk down the stairs, then briefly after, I heard his dad yelling at him. I tried to listen in to see what in the world he could be so upset about.

"I told you already. No sneaking in Skyler's room. You know that every single girl we get, you fall in love with her. And then when it comes to the time, you plead and beg not to give her up because you love her."

"But dad,", Noah interrupted.

"No. Go up to your room. I want to go make sure you haven't let her out."

"Fine.", Noah groaned. I heard his footsteps tapping against the stairs, then saw his shadow cloud the light that was coming in through the bottom slit of my door. I smiled, knowing that his room was so close to mine.

I rolled over, hoping to hide my face for when Noah's dad was to check on me. I closed my eyes, to look like I was asleep if he came for close inspection of me. 

A few anxious minutes later of hearing my heartbeat pounding loudly, I heard my door creak open. I heard Noah's dad walk a couple footsteps into the room, then back out. He shut the door, and I sighed in relief. 

I drifted to sleep with a smile across my face; knowing that at least for now, I was safe.

*** 

Sunlight peeked through my window and shone across my face, startling me awake. I rubbed my eyes, and sat up. I wasn't quite sure what to do then, because I didn't want to go out of my room where Noah's dad could possibly be. That would be too scary and..awkward. 

I decided to stay in my room until Noah came to see me again. My stomach was growling loudly, and I rubbed it, wondering when I was to be fed next. 

To get my mind  off of it, I slid off the bed and walked across the room to pick up the book I had thrown. While I bent down to retrieve it, I could barely read the words of the fainted title. It was an old copy of Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I picked up the book, and walked back to bed with it. I intended to read it, but just when I had been able to spread the sheet across myself, the doorknob to my room started to twist. 

I was about to pretend I was still asleep, but right as I shut my eyes, a woman's voice rang in my ears. 

"Awake Ms.Hayes?", she whispered through the small opening in the door. I turned my head to see her, and she appeared as a small, frazzled, Hispanic woman. She held a tray in both of her hands. 

"Yeah.", I nodded as I sat up. I scratched my head to add to the look that I had just woken up.

"Breakfast is ready for you.", she said while coming in and placing the tray onto my lap. The tray was filled with great looking food. Toast, waffles, fruit, orange juice, water, and a steaming cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream. 

"Thank you so much.", I said while joyfully breathing in the scent of it all. It all smelled heavenly, especially to my magnificent appetite that had grown overnight. 

"Welcome.", she smiled warmly, just before shutting my door. 

Immediately, I began stuffing my mouth with the waffles, then moved on to the toast and fruit, finishing my orange juice and hot chocolate in between mouthfulls. After I had finished everything, I chugged my glass of water and sat back, feeling satisfied. Maybe even a little stuffed from it all.

***

I suddenly jumped, awakening in a jolt of suprise. 

"Did I scare you?", Noah laughed into the darkness.

"Um, yeah.", I said, trying to straight out my messy hair, "You almost gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry. I guess I forgot to tell you.", he said, switching on the light.

"What do you mean?", I asked, locking eyes with him.

"My dad leaves the house at eleven every night, and gets back at six in the morning. So if someone's coming in your room at night, no worries. That'll be me.", he explained. 

"Oh? Where does he go?", I asked.

"Umm..midnight auctions.",he almost whispered.

Midnight auctions? Like for paintings or art or whatever?

"Like for art?", I stupidly asked.

"Unfortunately not.", he shook his head, his golden brown hair whipping back and forth. "For girls."

"What?!", I almost screamed. 

"Yeah, it's just as bad as it sounds.", he nodded.

"You mean they like, sell girls? And they bid on them?"

"Exactly."

"But why? Why would he want to buy girls?"

"Well, he and all these other guys do this thing where they kidnap girls. Then they train them to be good maids, girlfriends, wives, daughters, whatever. Then they sell them at the auctions. That's why we have maids. Because my dad bought them at the auction.", he explained. 

"So, that lady that brought me my food this morning was bought at an auction?", I asked while trying to swallow a nervous lump in my throat.

"Yes.", he nodded. "That's Sylvia, I think...", he trailed off, rubbing his hand against his chin. 

Looking around, I felt dizzy. The whole room was spinning. One thought crept into my mind, and screamed in my head over and over again.

I'm going to be sold.