"I must meet your sister one day," Lavinia said. "It sounds like we would get along."

"You certainly would," he answered. Lavinia contemplated asking Mr Jackson if he knew the reason Caleb had been ignoring her. She knew they were close and she wondered if he had perhaps confided in him, but before she could ask, the music drew to an end and he bowed before her.

"Lady Lavinia," an all too familiar voice sounded behind her as she curtsied back. She whirled round in surprise as she took in the slimy figure of Mr Colin Black.

"Mr Black," she replied formally before attempting to stalk away. Cold fingers laced around her arm but before she could even say anything they were gone and replaced by a warm arm around her waist.

Looking up, Lavinia was shocked but relieved to see jade green eyes looking down at her.

"May I have this dance, Lady Lavinia?" Caleb asked formally, having just glared at Mr Black to leave her alone.

"You may," she replied and they began the dance.

"It has been awhile since we have danced and conversed," Lavinia observed, watching for his reaction. His face darkened in regret before turning into an emotionless mask.

"Indeed it has, your brothers have kept me busy throughout the day and Judith is often around in the evenings," he offered as an excuse, though she didn't miss his face as he had said Judith's name. He had looked uninterested and bored by the mere mention of her.

Lavinia did not know how to answer, instead she decided to change the subject a little. "It won't be long now until the season is over. I miss riding in the countryside."

"Your home is certainly surrounded by some remarkable countryside. I wonder, the first time I met you this year, was that the last time you rode?"

"I believe it was," Lavinia smiled at the memory but also blushed a little at the memory of her behaviour then.

"You never liked me the first time we met, did you? Why not?" Caleb asked curiously, allowing to slip one of the questions he had wanted to ask for so long.

Lavinia blushed even more in embarrassment and tried to pick her words carefully. She didn't want to insult him, however she knew she couldn't lie.

"You took me by surprise, I didn't expect you to come and you were rather full of yourself," Lavinia admitted and Caleb laughed.

"I suppose I was, wasn't I," he agreed easily, much to Lavinia's surprise.

"Why were you so annoying when we first met? You seem to have changed since we've been in London," Lavinia observed.

"I suppose it was to do with my regret at embarrassing you at your ball. I felt immensely guilty and wanted to make it up to you." Caleb was found it easy speaking to Lavinia, he found he could tell her anything although he knew it was also dangerous as her opinion of him meant a great deal to him. This was what he had missed since her brother had warned him away from her. He had missed their easy conversations and their honesty. She didn't prattle on about dresses and gossip and he knew she wouldn't just be collecting information to laugh at later with her peers.

Lavinia was also enjoying their honesty with each other. She didn't want it to stop and for a moment she forgot about how he had been avoiding her since their game of rounders. She was grateful to him for stepping in when Mr Black had attempted to ask her to dance and she knew she could always count on him, no matter what.

Lavinia didn't have time to answer however as the music drew to a close and propriety demanded they break apart and rejoin their social groups. Lavinia walked back to Judith who was standing with Miss Chamfer and Miss Kelly. She held a glass of wine in her hand and a scowl on her face. Downing the wine in one, she reached out to a passing waiter and grabbed a second, gulping it generously.