Chapter Twenty Six - The Solution

Beginne am Anfang

"Sigurado ka ba sa gagawin mo, anak? Hindi kaya magalit si Maine sayo, lalo siyang mawala sayo?"

"Dad, ito lang ang tanging paraan para malaman ko kung talagang mahal niya ko. Kailangan kong gawin to. Kung itutuloy lang namin basta ang relasyon namin, palagi na kong magiisip kung nagkataon lang na dumating ako sa buhay niya kaya siya napasakin."

"Pano kung balikan niya si Miggy?"

"Masakit yun, dad, pero kailangan kong tanggapin na hindi siya para sakin."

------

Maine was already in Mr. Tuviera's office when Alden arrived. She looked so pretty in her denim dress and sneakers, her hair tied neatly in a ponytail, her face devoid of any make-up. Her eyes were puffy from crying, but it didn't take away any of her beauty. She looked at him, smiling warily, making room in the couch so he could sit beside her. He approached her and smiled, kissing her cheek and taking her hand, entwining her arm through his.

"Kumusta baby ko?" He asked, looking at her, wanting so much to hug her. God help me, he told himself, help me to do what I need to do, say what I need to say, to save our relationship.

"Hindi ako ok, babe. Na-miss kita ng sobra." Her unnerving honesty took him by surprise, it also made his heart sing. There was a flicker of hope that they could still fix what they had.

"Usap tayo mamaya sa condo? Pagkatapos nitong meeting natin. Nagcancel ako ng appointments ko kasi gusto kita makasama."

She leaned her head on his shoulder , squeezing his hand. Alden reached for her chin and raised it to give her a lingering kiss, but the door opened, signaling the arrival of Mr. T.

"Heto na pala ang phenomenal love team namin," He said, sitting on the couch across them. His secretary came in with a bag containing his documents, from which he got two brown envelopes, each bearing their names.

"Alden, Maine, I asked you to come by because may good news ako. Madami na tayong proposals for endorsements. Inipon na muna namin kasi mas priority natin matapos yung movie in time for submission sa filmfest committee. By next week, tapos na version natin for submission to the committee. Pwede na natin pag-aralan yung endorsements niyo, in preparation for release ng ads by the time malapit nang mapalabas ang movie niyo." He gave the envelopes to them.

"Inside the envelopes are the endorsement proposals. Pag aralan niyo tapos pagusapan natin. Pero bago yan, may surprise ako sa inyo. " He took out another set of letter envelopes this time and gave an envelope each to Alden and Maine.

"May invitation ang LA Filipino Community sa inyo to meet and greet fans there. Tinanggihan ko nung una kasi sabi ko busy kayo dahil sa movie. But they patiently waited till the movie shoots were over. They want you to perform there, kahit one dance number lang saka ilang songs together and solo ni Alden. Sinagot na nila lahat ng expenses, pati application ng working visas niyo. You already have an appointment with the embassy tomorrow. Magandang opportunity ito for you to plug the movie kasi ipapalabas din doon. As a bonus, I extended your stay para may R&R din kayo. Hopefully you can leave by next week."

For the first time, Maine smiled. Alden's heart danced, he missed that smile for far too long. They looked at each other, excited for the days to come. But Alden still had one last thing to do. He still didn't know how Maine would react to his plan, but he would take the risk anyway.

-----

They arrived at the condo with icecream, Tiramisu and burgers. As the food was laid down on the table, they looked at each other awkwardly. With a nod, Alden opened his arms and took Maine, hugging her tightly. They both cried, but this time, it was out of relief that their misunderstanding was over.