Chapter 1

I officially hate boys. I mean, everyone always jokes about how boys are the worst, and that all they're going to do is stomp on your heart. It's true though. I'm having this epiphany as I stand on the stage at the assembly covered in some sort of slime. Why had I run for class president again? Oh yeah. Popularity.
My next door neighbor whom I've been crushing on for just about forever had convinced me into it. It was just a normal day, I was just doing my homework when he just sauntered up to me through my yard and just asked: "Hey! I was just thinking... you should run for class president! I was just thinking about who would perfectly fit the job, and I really think you could do it! I was also thinking about Todd, but he's arrogant and doesn't want to actually make a difference in the school, you get what I mean? So how about it? I can get my buddies to help vote for you too if you want...?"
I stared at Justin standing there in all his glory with my jaw dropped. Justin McGraw was talking to me for the first time in years. I tried to form some sort of coherent sentence but all that came out was a bunch of muddled sounds.
Justin continues, "I mean, everybody knows you as that math nerd who enjoys Latin way too much, but I know you better! We've been friends ever since we were kids! I know there's a part of you who would just be perfect for class president! What do you say?"
He shifts around nervously, waiting patiently for my answer. His face is the human form of a puppy dog begging for food. I couldn't just say no, could I? I eventually decided to just nod, too awe struck to think about what he was really asking me to do. I mean, who isn't a little nervous when their crush of ten years appears in your yard and tells you to run for class office?
Justin had known about my stage fright just like I know about his secret lingering fear of the dark. I had been too elated that he was talking to me for the first time in three years to care that he was pushing me on stage in front of the whole school totally unprepared. It didn't help I was wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt (my favorite t-shirt if I might add). It was purple with a picture of a penguin with 'I'm small but mighty' over it
Since this was just now sprung on to me, I had no clue what I was supposed to say. I'm not an expert at these things. I never really cared about them either, usually I just joked around with Georgia about how bad some of the student's speeches were. I never imagined I would actually be up there talking. Jokes on me now. I'm going be getting a earful from Georgia later.
I stumbled through my thoughts, trying to find a non-idiotic sentence that could get people to vote for me. I blurted out the first thing that came to mind, "I, umm... I like dogs!"
    There were a couple of snorts and muffled laughter coming from the boy's side of the room. Justin was obviously trying really hard not to change his expression from I-support-you-all-the-way to What-the-hell-who-let-this-girl-on-stage? It was at that moment that I knew he was just pulling a sick joke. I didn't have to hear him say it to know. I tried to continue with my speech anyway, struggling to make myself not look like a fool
My mouth felt dry and all the air seemed to have been sucked out of my lungs. Everyone was staring at me and trying not to burst out laughing. Some of the kids actually were laughing. This was my absolute worst fear. Suddenly, I couldn't move. I could barely talk. I felt the early onset of tears burn behind my eyes as I fumbled through the sentences I composed on the spot.
Somehow I managed to stumble through my last sentence without bursting into tears. I tried to shuffle towards the edge of the stage but Justin had other plans. And I thought this day couldn't get any worse. A slimy green substance suddenly covered my skin, dripping down my face and soaking my clothes completely. I looked up at the huge metal bucket that had just been emptied onto my head. I glanced back out at the crowd. Everyone was laughing their asses off at my situation. This was the worst thing that has ever happened to me by far. Even beating that time I got a fifty on a math test.
Then the unthinkable happened. Justin ran up and jumped onto the stage with me. "Delancy Bolton for president everybody." He gestured for me to bow, like this was some grand show I performed. "Also, I would like to read you something I found the other day whilst I was orchestrating this whole thing." He held up a pink envelope with his name written in sloppy letters.
No.
This was not happening.
I took a shaky breath flashing back to when I had written that letter back in freshman year.
I sat in my room trying not to burst into tears. He was kissing a girl. I don't even remember why that crushed me so much, it was just a stupid crush. Besides, I wasn't his type. I was too nerdy for him. He was a soccer player and I was nobody.
Needing to vent my feelings and not trusting myself to not jump over the fence that separated us like I had done so many times in my youth. I grabbed a sheet of lined paper from my white desk and started to write out every little feeling I had towards Justin McGraw. I put it in a pink envelope and stared at it. What was I going to even do with this. I sighed and scribbled his name on the front and shoved it under my bed. Nobody would ever find it.
I resisted the urge to break down in tears as my freshman soul was being poured out in front of the entire school. Everyone was laughing and I was frozen to the spot. Why weren't any teachers around for Heaven's sake? I sighed and snatched the paper from his hands as he was about to read the last line. No. He would not get the satisfaction of finishing it. I looked at him, loathing and pain rolled into one expression on my face as I ran off the stage covered in slime, tears and utter humiliation.
As I stormed down the empty hallway I pushed past somebody without even realizing who. I was too furious with Justin to watch where I was going.
"Watch it" a voice grunted. I looked up wearily and sighed seeing the face of Hudson Johnson. Wonderful. Just what my day needed: a run in with the sleaziest of one-night-stand-party-going bad boys.
I glared at him, all my pent up emotions spilling out in one word.
"Dick." I state brushing away a streak of slime that slid down my face. Wow that was actually pathetic. Really D? That's your choice on insult?
He looked at me with amusement. "That the best you got, Princess?" He asked while simultaneously taking a step away from my slimy self.
I huffed and pushed past him making sure to get some goo on his leather jacket. I heard him let out a noise similar to growl as I stormed out. That's the only thing that managed to bring a smile to my face in the last hour.
I trudged the rest of the way to my bike with a sigh. The mile bicycle ride suddenly seemed a whole lot longer. I stared at the blue bike, willing it to turn into something that wasn't completely embarrassing. Alas, the universe seemed to hate me today. Just as I was about to start the humiliating pedal home, I saw an expensive white limo roll up next to the side walk.
I sighed wearily as I watched the second hot guy of the day give me a smirk that made me want to rip their hair out. I just wanted to go home and take a shower. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so, because the hot rich boy started talking to me after giving my body one long examination. "You look like you just won the Nick Teen Choice Awards." He said with a face of barely contained laughter.
I shot him a steely glare and crossed my arms. "Yeah well I definitely wasn't getting awarded for anything" I mutter as I study him as I pull my bike out of the rack. I sit on it and try pedaling forward with no avail. I look at the front tire, almost terrified about what I'm going to see. I groan inwardly. Of course I would get a flat tire today of all days. That one stupid coincidence makes me want to start bawling my eyes out.
The blonde gives me a confused, and slightly terrified look, "Are you alright?" he asks carefully.
I glared at him pathetically. "Do I look okay?" I snap, my voice cracking with frustration as I run a hand through the ratsnest that barely resembled hair.
He gulped nervously, unsure what to say. "Well, no..." He trailed off.
"So I'm obviously not okay." I sigh, trying to brush off some of the slime.
He gave me a look of pity and opened the door to his limo, "Take her where she wants to go." he instructed the driver who simply nodded. With that, the mysterious stranger started to walk off.
I watched him start to walk and I called out to him, "Hey, Wait!" I yelled, hoping he would turn around. I didn't even know his name and he was offering me a ride home. In a limo.
He turned back to me, wearing a smug look. "What's up?" he asked while tilting his head and wrinkling his nose slightly as he examined me.
I bit my lip, taking a deep breath. "What's your name?" I ask him, nervously linking my fingers together. It was a habit I always had when I was nervous.
He chuckled and walked back over to me "Alexander Stone." He said, his eyes searching mine as he stepped back again. "What's your name?"
I blinked at him a few times. His name sounded familiar, but why? As I examined his features again I felt the unfamiliar sensation in the pit of my stomach. What was he doing to me and why did I like this feeling so much?  I blinked a few times trying to propel myself out of the trance he had momentarily set me in. "Delancy Bolton. Thank you, Alex. For the ride." i said softly with a small smile. I noticed that his hand reached out to touch mine but jerked back as soon as he got close to the green goop. I blushed deeply and slid onto the leather seat.
The driver raised his eyebrows as my appearance but simply asked where I needed to go. I recited my address to the driver. It was hard to believe that 20 minutes ago my lifelong crush had not only almost made me have a panic attack but dump a bucket of slime on my head and read my most personal thoughts to the entire school. I could only hope that tomorrow would be better. Well, as a certain singing orphan once said: The sun will come out tomorrow.