Book One: In a Hole in the ground there lived two hobbits

Comenzar desde el principio

The spell their intense scrutiny had weaved upon them was broken and despite not feeling enimosity radiating oft he small man, Elauriel once more became aware of her situation and she quickly stood and made to move to her horse. Her movement had been so abrupt and quick, that she heard the man behind her scramble and once he had recovered his composure he said warmly: „You needn't worry for your safety. We hobbits are a peaceful folk. I won't hurt you, miss. I'll leave if you want me to." Elauriel felt herself grow warm at his tone and his words and disregarding any previous alarm she had felt, she turned to him and smiled at him beatifically. She saw his eyes widen, almost theatrically, at the tender look she was bestowing him and once more she felt affection for the small creature rise in her. She returned to the log she had been sitting on and fixed the little man with an expectant look in her eyes, that prompted him to join her. He approached her guardingly, as if she was a skittish animal, that he feared to frighten with any abrupt and hasty movement. When he reached the log and sat, they simply studied each other for a long time. She had heard about Hobbits or Halflings before, but she had never seen one and so she looked at the man before her with childlike curiosity and amazement. Now that he was closer, she could detect the lived wisdom in his eyes, which only served to further endear this man to her. She asked him for his name and questioned him about the colour of his hair. Amused at her amazement with his hair, he told her that his name was Benji Took and that he did not know from where he had gotten his hair from, as none of his relatives possessed the same shade but that he lived with it nonetheless.

As their conversation progressed they became more and more comfortable with each other and while Benji told her of his life in the Shire, she told him of the reason she had left Rivendell. He had seemed concerned for her and had offered her to stay with him and his sister in her husband's hobbit hole. She had felt tempted and slightly euphoric at the offer, wishing to spend more time with this Hobbit that interested her for reasons yet unbeknowst to her, but she did not wish to impose and made to decline his offer, justifying her rejection by her belief that she would only be a bother. He had laughed at her then and the deep, joyful sound of his laughter had caused her heart to beat faster and her cheeks to grow warm. Her breathing hitched when he put his warm hand upon hers and had looked her in the eyes and sincerely said: „You would never be a bother Elauriel. Not to my sister and most certainly not to me. We are both Tooks and as a result we are almost indecently adventurous, my sister would never forgive me if I did not introduce her to the only elf she will most likely ever see. Please, come with me." He had looked so sincere and beseeching, that Elauriel could not have refused him even if she wanted to. This was the moment she had fallen in love with Benji Took, though she would only realize that later.

The next years of her life was the most joyful she could remember. As predicted by Benji, she was warmly received by his sister Belladonna Took and even by her more conservative husband Bungo Baggins, who would have accepted anyone in his house, if his beloved wife wished for it. She befriended Belladonna and the two were like sisters. Elauriel having never had any siblings welcomed the companionship Belladonna provided her and the two grew almost inseperable. Though she did spend the majority of her time with Benji and the two of them would often ride out and more often than not they would go on adventures, riding far past Bree and into the world ahead. Each day Elauriel spent with Benji she grew to love him more and more. Benji experienced the same feelings as Elauriel and eventually he had gathered his courage and daring like a true Took, he had asked her to marry him. Their joy had been immense to find that their feelings were reciprocated and in the following spring Elauriel and Benji Took were married. The wedding was a subdued affair in Bag End's garden, which Elauriel had always adored due to the vast, healthy flora which could be found there. The flowers seemed to bloom even more happily under the tender care of Belladonna Took. So the hobbit and the elf were married surrounded by a sea of differently coloured petals and with only Belladonna, Bungo and their newborn son, Bilbo as witnesses of the event. The newly weds did not stay at Bag End, as Benji had soon procured a small cottage in the woods surrounding Bree. Benji had found work there, assisting the black smith, but he would always eagerly await the end of his working day so that he could return to his beautiful, beloved wife in their small cottage, that she had made home. Elauriel had loved the cottage, when Benji had first shown her it. It was made of light-brown wood and was located in the middle of a vast meadow, with fertile soil, so that similarly to Belladonna she could set up an idyllic garden. When her husband was away she would spend most of her time tending diligently to the vibrantly coloured petals, which seemed to thrive beneath her dedicated hands. Yet Benji and her would not be completely content remaining complacent at home for extended amounts of time. His Tookish streak was much too pronounced to remain at home for too long and she too was too wild and adventure-seeking to not go in the search of excitement. They spent several years in wedded bliss and their love did not fade with time, but became stronger and stronger.