*Chapter Fourteen*

*Chapter Fourteen*

I lay awake in my bed, weighing the two options I had in my head. I had taped the vial under the bed since I really couldn’t find any other place that would be safer than that. My head was ready to burst any second from the intensity of my thoughts.

I can’t let Phaecy die.

I cannot do this.

The thought of doing something that would kill her sent waves of guilt crashing into me, paralyzing my thoughts. I considered her as a family. It would be barbaric to let her die while knowing that I had a choice of saving her. Grabbing a pillow from beside me, I screamed as loud as I could into it, letting out my frustrations and annoyance.

“Whoa, I thought you were wounded.”

Yanking the pillow away from my face, I saw Lyorin standing next to me with a smirk on his face. Not really thinking, I threw the pillow at him. Of course, he caught it with ease.

“I’m going for a hunt,” I said quietly, not looking at him.

Ignoring the momentary dizziness I felt after standing up, I aimed my way towards the open window.

“Sure, get killed by a rogue,” he said casually.

“I’m perfectly fine of defending myself,” I retorted in an insulted tone.

“Not when you’re head’s totally messed up.”

“I’m perfectly sober,” I told him firmly, daring him to challenge me.

I crossed the remaining distance in two long strides and placed my hand on the window ledge. With a single powerful thrust, I was free falling towards the earth. I landed on all four to lessen the impact, and I tried my best to put as little force as possible on my hurt leg.

This all led to one thing: my past. Curse the damn thing. If it weren’t for that, I wouldn’t have agreed to Lyorin’s proposition. Jayce wouldn’t have died, and Phaecy and Damien wouldn’t have hated me.

Damien.

He must loathe me with all his soul.

Who was I to blame? This was my entire fault.

Even from afar, my predator’s senses kicked in, and I gladly let it lead me to my prey. My brain just wanted to have a nice rest, and hopefully by the time I wake up, this would turn out to be only a dream.

No such luck.

Thump.

Thump.

My head automatically turned towards the source of the rhythmic heartbeat, and my ears perked up at the sound of the blood rushing through a human’s veins. I could feel my fangs itching to sink themselves into the soft flesh of my prey, and my throat burned for the need of the warm liquid that sustained a vampire’s cursed life.