Chapter Eleven

It had been nearly a week since Prince Baylin had been summoned from the chamber to attend King Ashmur's war council. Luana had not seen, nor been given word of the Prince's whereabouts. She was certain if something had happened someone would have gotten word to her. Don't be a fool, she thought. Of course nothing has happened to him. Don't think like that. Luana paced the room, her nerves getting more and more unraveled. Her heart ached for Baylin. Where was he?

Panicked, heartbreaking thoughts ran through Luana's mind as she paced the cool, smooth stone floors. Perhaps the King has found Baylin a Queen, she worried. Maybe Baylin has decided he is tired of waiting.

Both of her handmaids came into the room to clean up the remains of Luana's breakfast. She had again left her meal untouched.

"Milady, you must eat," one of the maids pleaded. "You must keep up your health so when you are with child..."

"How can I become with child when the Prince will not even see me?" Luana snapped. She felt instantly guilty for taking her frustrations out on the girl and gave her an apologetic look.

The maid gave a soft bow. "Apologies, Miss." The maid carried the dishes from the room quietly.

Her other maid, Meg, guided Luana to a chair situated in front of a mirror and began the daily task of brushing her long silver-blonde hair. Luana looked up into Meg's face in the reflection, searching for some kind of sign but found none.

She turned her gaze toward the window, watching the clouds roll by.

Her thoughts took her back to the days after Cadman's rebuke of Baylin and her friendship when they were young.

The days that followed had been lonely to say the least. Luana found herself wandering lonely in the field and the forest to make time pass.

The day had been particularly hot, so Luana lay in the grass beneath the shade of a tree on the bed of the forest. She had nearly fallen asleep when she heard the sound of something or someone running toward her. For the first time, she was truly scared.

She stood up, turned, preparing to run for her home, when an arm reached out from behind a tree and grabbed her, pulling her toward them.

"Baylin!" Luana could not contain her happiness. She threw her arms around his neck and squeezed him tightly.

Baylin returned the hug. "I'm sorry I scared you. I don't have much time."

"However did you get away?" Luana asked, breaking the embrace.

"They think I'm sick in my chamber," Baylin said with a sly smile. "I'm supposed to be in bed asleep."

Luana giggled taking Baylin's hands in her own. "Are you running away?" She had secretly hoped he was.

Baylin shook his head. "No, I can't run away. I have to be King someday, remember?"

"Well, then, why have you come?" Luana asked, still clinging to his hands. She did not want to let them go. She didn't want to let him slip from her life again.

Baylin looked sad. Luana didn't like it. She preferred him smiling and laughing with her.

"I can't be your friend anymore," Baylin said, looking down at his feet.

"Why not?" Luana asked confused, dropping his hands.

"You heard Uncle Cadman. He's forbidden it," Baylin said, frustrated, plopping down on the ground next to a tree.

Luana sat down next to him. "He can stop us from spending time together, but that doesn't mean we aren't still friends."

Baylin looked up at Luana, hopeful. "How can we stay friends if we can't be together?"

"We make a promise," Luana said with a smile on her face. "We promise that we will never forget each other. And when you are King, we can spend time together again."

Baylin smiled weakly at Luana. "I will never forget you. I promise."

Luana wrapped her arms around Baylin's neck. "I promise you will always be my best friend Baylin. I love you."

"I love you, Luana," Baylin replied, squeezing her tighter.

I love you. The words resonated in Luana's mind as she thought of her young friend.

All these years she had loved him from afar. Never forgetting, secretly hoping he still cared for her. Had she really been so blind? For months she had discouraged Baylin, was so cold and unkind to him.

Hot tears began to gather in Luana's eyes so quickly she could not stop them from streaming down her pale cheeks.

Meg knelt to her knees beside Luana and wiped the tears away with a soft cloth. "Oh, Milady, please don't cry."

"I... I can't help it," Luana sobbed. "Why does he not come to me?"

"Milady, I'm not supposed to say, but I feel I must," the young girl whispered. "I have news of Prince Baylin."

"Please!" Luana exclaimed, grabbing the handmaid's hand. "Meg, you must tell me!"

"You know a week ago, when His Grace was summoned to King Ashmur's war council?" the maid asked nervously.

"Yes, what of it?" Luana inquired, desperate for the girl to get to the point.

"Well," Meg continued, "the King sent His Grace to Rivermouth that very night to clear the village of some water trolls that had started burning buildings down by the docks." Luana's heart sank, Baylin had gone into battle.

"And... and His Grace?" Luana asked.

"His Grace was injured," she murmured. "He and his guard were ambushed. There were many more trolls than first believed."

Luana slid from the chair and sank to her knees as the young girl attempted to hold her up. "How.... how is he?"

"I'm not sure, Milady. They say he saved many of the men that day. They say no one would have made it back if not for his bravery," the maid stammered while wrapping a shawl around Luana's shoulders.

"But how is he? Where is he? Is he even alive?" Luana was beside herself with grief. She had failed him. Baylin had saved her, protected her and maybe even loved her. She had left him with no heir, and he could be very well dying.

"He stays in Master Keon's medical chamber." The young girl looked over her shoulder and then moved to Luana's ear with a whisper. "He asks for you, Milady. I heard Master Keon's handmaid say he calls out your name day and night."

Luana's heart swelled and broke at the same time. He did care for her, truly he did. But now, when she wanted to be with him most, she was not allowed.

Luana sat silently for a few moments and then turned to her handmaid. "Could you take me to him?"

Meg jumped back startled. "But Milady is not allowed to leave the chamber. It is forbidden."

"Yes, I know they say it is, but Prince Baylin is the heir of the Kingdom and he is calling for me. He needs me," she pleaded. "Please, Meg, can you take me to him?"

The maid stood up and backed away from Luana. "I simply can't, Milady."

Luana cried into the palms of her hands. He may die; I may never see him again.

Her sobs were loud and heart wrenching. She could not hold in the pain of all that had happened. In her thoughts, she could see his sad face – all the times her stubbornness caused him grief.

Oh my love. She cried into her hands. I am sorry. I love you, if I could just tell you that I love you.

The maid knelt down beside Luana. "Milady."

Luana looked up with tear-streaked eyes, she felt completely lost without Baylin.

The maid sat quietly studying Luana. "There... there is a way. But if I were to get caught..."

"I would tell them I escaped of my own accord," Luana said with desperation in her voice. "Meg, I would die before I laid blame to you. Just please, take me to him."

The girl got up and walked over to the door, peeking outside before locking it. She returned to Luana's side and whispered. "Tonight, when I come to retrieve your supper tray, you must be ready."