Part 3: A New Beginning

CHAPTER 10

"Shit!" Kiyoshi whispered. The crowd began going wild. Apparently Kiyoshi's friend, Hyuga, was seen by villagers in the mountains as he fought some samurai. "We have no time for this. Kiyoshi, let's go." Hyuga said.

I followed them to the room. He began packing things right away. I didn't need to ask, I knew that we were never coming back. "Kiyoshi.." I began. "Akira, I know. I know you don't  want to leave. I know you're worried for how long we'll be running away this time. But you know what? Some of us have been running all our lives. So I need you to be strong and start packing." He said, emotionless. What did he mean by 'some of us have been running all our lives'?

Just like him, I changed my face making it hard. "I was going to say, you owe me a katana." I said. His emotionless face became puzzled. "Oh, um, okay." He reached into his kimono and pulled out a black and red ronin sword that had straps at the end. "This belonged to my master, he gave it to me when I first began training as a ninja." He said, smiling at the sword. He handed me the sword. "Now I know it will be in good hands." I took the sword. It had intricate designs on the handle, with a very sharp blade. "I know," I said. He looked at me. "I mean the sword. My father used to own one. He never let me within three feet of it though." Kiyoshi laughed. "The man had good sense." I hit his shoulder. Just then, Kasumi walked in with Hyuga following behind her.

"We're ready." Kiyoshi said. He and Hyuga began talking in an unidentifiable language. "You never told me you spoke gibberish." I said to Kiyoshi. "It's not gibberish, and all ninjas learn at least five languages from a young age." He said, going back to his conversation.

I looked at Kasumi. She looked horrible. Not the kind of horrible I looked when I got here, but a more sickly kind. She smiled at me and suddenly collapsed on the futon. "Kasumi!" I yelled, crouching next to her. "Are you okay?" I said, worried. Hyuga and Kiyoshi came over. "What kind of stupid question is that? Of course she's not okay." Hyuga said. I didn't reply. "I'm just dehydrated. Water, please." Kasumi whispered. Kiyoshi pulled out a jug and handed it to her. She drank from it. "We really need to go. There was more of those samurai I ran into in the woods." Hyuga said impatiently. I stood. "Okay, then carry her. I don't want her fainting again." I said to him. "Don't tell me what to do, little girl." He said rudely. His attitude was ridiculous! "Don't call me 'little girl' you-" I started until Kiyoshi cut me off. "This is entertaining, however, we have no time for this." He said. Hyuga picked up Kasumi effortlessly. 

We left the village from the south side, going toward the opposite side of the mountains. We whistled for Aiko and Yoru and they ran up a little bit later. I got on Aiko behind Kiyoshi, Hyuga and Kasumi on Yoru. We started off into the mountains, leaving behind the village. I'll come back one day, I said to myself, and I wrapped my arms tighter around Kiyoshi's waist.

We stopped near a river. It was near sunset. Kasumi's fever was getting worse and she began moving around in her sleep. As we sat around the fire, I wet a cloth and set it on her forehead. Hyuga was watching me intently. "What?" I said, looking at Kasumi. "Nothing." He said turning away. He was acting pretty protective of her, maybe he had feelings for her? I pushed away the thought. He's too insensitive for that. I suddenly remembered that I'd brought some food from the dinner pulled it out of my pouch. "Anyone want rice cakes?" I asked the boys. "Yes please!" Kiyoshi said, excited. Hyuga just looked at me. "Yes." He said. "Yes, what?" I asked. With a scowl he said,"Yes...please." I smirked at him and handed them the pouch. Kiyoshi took a bite and moaned. "This is so good. Where does a geisha learn to cook like this?" He said non rhetorically. "Let me guess..your father?" He said. We shared a look when Kasumi spoke. "Hyuga..." She said, mumbling in her sleep. Hyuga's eyes became wide and his face looked a little flushed. "Aww, isn't that cute?" Kiyoshi said, nudging him. Of course he would have to comment. "Shut up. She's had a long day." Hyuga said defensively. "It's okay, man. I was just messing with you." Kiyoshi laughed. I smiled a little too. "What are you smiling at? It's not like you two aren't an item." Hyuga said. Kiyoshi and I exchanged looks. "Yeah, its that obvious." Hyuga said. Okay I've had it with this guy, I thought. I opened my mouth to say something when Kiyoshi spoke instead. "That's none of your buisiness, she is my fiancee after all." He said, winking at me. I started to protest when both Kiyoshi and Hyuga looked back suddenly. "I am not your-" I started to say. "Shh! Can you ever shut up?" Hyuga whispered. I shut my mouth obediently and listened with them. There was a distant shuffling noise. "Stay with Kasumi, we'll go check that out." Hyuga said. As if I'd be going anywhere else.