1.

Ella released a sigh of boredom as she curled up on the black leather sofa in the grand hall. She had her favourite novel 'Dark Rivers of the heart' by Dean Koontz in her hands, reading intriguingly.

The grand hall had black walls with red curtains hanging by the windows. There was a gold crystal chandelier overhead, there were pillars with expensive and genuine artefacts on them, a coffee table in the centre, with a set of black leather chairs around it, which was occupied by the guests. She shifted her eyes from the book to the man standing in front of everyone giving a speech. She looked at him with disgust, he was the most irritating person she ever met and bossy too.

"Crisella? Could you at least pretend to listen to what I'm trying to say?" he asked a bit irritated. His blue eyes were cold, his facial expression was tight, and his blonde hair was gelled back.

Ella frowned at the sound of her full name. She never really cared for it but Braxton made a habit of calling her by it.

"I am listening Braxton. I just find our argument childish and a waste of time. Who cares if the werewolves have been running up north? The last time I checked they owned that, part not us," she replied brushing a strand of her curly, black hair out of her face.

Braxton stared at her as did all of the other stuck up, rich vampires. His blue eyes narrowed at her black ones. She averted her eyes to her book paying no attention to him.

"If all those dogs are running up north, they must be planning something against us." he bickered. "How can you sit around reading that rubbish instead, of helping us to come up with a plan to kill them once and for all! You are no princess to your kingdom!"

Ella rolled her eyes, she closed the book, placing it on the sofa and folded her golden arms against her chest. "First off, never raise your voice at me, I am not your dog or servant," she said standing up, her black, silk dress falling to her feet. "Secondly, I am not your princess; I will never be your princess. I was turned by a royal- against my will-not born into royalty, I owe this kingdom nothing, and lastly, those dogs wouldn't be trying to kill you if you didn't enslave their race for five hundred years!"

All the paled skin vampires in their fancy dresses and fancy hair-dos stared at her as if she had three heads. Braxton hissed at her, he looked at her in disgust.

Could one vampire be so, irritating? He knew she hated being a vampire for a long time but he thought through the years she would have grown accustomed to it, she was now one of them and needed to start acting like it. How dare she pick up for those mutts, they deserved what they got! Those mangy mutts were beneath them and should remain beneath them.

Without a care in the world Ella stormed out of the grand hall, up the red carpeted stairs -ignoring calls from Braxton - and went up to her room. A small enthusiastic fuming greeted her as she stepped in through the doors.

"Twinkle! Come here girl!" she cooed as the hellhound jumped into her arms, knocking her to the ground.

Twinkle licked her cheek with here hot, flaming tongue. Ella ran her hand down Twinkles hard solid back as she laughed in glee. Twinkle was made of igneous rocks with lava flowing through the cracks on her skin. She had red beady eyes, a two flame as ears and at the end of her tail. She resembled a German shepherd minus the fact she had steam emitting from her mouth and body.

"How's my favourite girl?" Ella asked petting her head. Twinkle puffed and licked Ella some more. "I'm guessing great."

Ella got off the cherry wood floor and jumped onto her bed, burying her head in her pillow. Her room was red with green curtains and rug. There was a vanity set, a wardrobe, a bookshelf that was filled up with many books and a red sofa at the far corner of the room. Her bed was a queen size, adorned with red and green sheets.

"Can you believe Braxton? He is such a bully. Why can't he leave those poor creatures alone?" she turned to her side—her locks resting on her back—so, she could see Twinkle. "They have been in slavery, beaten and tortured for 500 years. Yet, these vampires won't leave them alone. I wonder how they would feel if the script was flipped?"

She signed, jumping out of bed, and walked to the balcony. She leaned on the black railing covered in vines and stared into the night.

A wind whipped her unruly curls over her eyes, she gave a sad smile and pushed them away. She felt sorry for those wolves, Braxton and those up tight vampires were bullying them...killing them and worst they expected her to kill one.

Tomorrow was going to be her one hundred and sixteenth birthday and she was expected, as the future queen, to kill a werewolf. It was a tradition that has been practiced for the last millennium and being Braxton's future wife, she was expected to follow it.

"Why does life have to be so, unfair?" she asked herself as she stared at the sky.

The sky was a midnight blue, the moon was almost full and it was slowly fading away to welcome the glaring sun. There was going to be a full moon tomorrow, the perfect time for a ball. Well, at least that's what Braxton said.

The ball was going to be filled with the leaders of the different clans and other snobby rich people. Ella wasn't looking forward to this, she had to dress up in a fancy dress, wear uncomfortable heels and be an arm accessory to Braxton.

She could barely stand five minutes with that douche bag, how was she supposed to last five hours with him?

Heat running up her leg, distracted her from her thoughts. She smiled at Twinkle, who puffed out smoke and gestured to the woods beyond the castle walls.

It was time for her to go.

Ella bended down and gave her a hug.

"Bye, girl. Tell your family hi for me. Next time bring the pups," she said rubbing her nose against hers. "Love you, Twinkle."

Ella found Twinkle when she was just a pup. She cared for her until she could do it herself. They were the best of friends and they shared everything with each other. Even though Twinkle couldn't talk, she could understand Ella and the loneliness she felt. When Ella found out Twinkle was pregnant she was elated, she checked up on her more often, made sure she was well fed and when the pups came she named all ten of them.

Ella cared for them like her own. Since, hellhound dads aren't usually around, she was happy to fill that gap. Twinkle was her only true friend here and she would do anything for her.

Twinkle puffed again and nodded, disappearing into an ash coloured mist.

Ella looked out towards the woods.

"I wish I could escape this place," she whispered to the wind as she dropped her gaze to the tiled floor.

She looked up as a howl came from far north, smiling at the sound. She envied those wolves being able to run free within the woods they call home.

Home, a word she longed to know the true meaning of.

Ella turned on her heels, bidding the moon and stars farewell as she returned to her room for a dawn's slumber.