Chapter 2

It was dark. So very dark.There wasn’t a sound to be heard in this black abyss that surrounded her.She couldn’t feel her skin, her body, couldn’t move her arms or legs.Not that she could summon the strength to do so anyway.

Was this it? Was this what it was like to be dead?

Alone in the middle of consciousness, but no real form in a big empty nothing for the rest of eternity.

She hoped not, because that would suck.

Madison could make out the sound of something shuffling at her side.The darkness began to brighten, and the numbness started to fade until she could make out her arms and legs once more.She was lying down on something very stiff, as far as she could tell, but her head felt like it was nestled in a cloud.

‘So, are you finally awake young miss?’ a voice drifted through the haze of her mind, followed by a bothersome little whistle that sounded like it was coming from an old man trying to hit a high note in his tune.

Madison opened her eyes and was below a high ceiling of dark wood, in broad tiles with skilfully carved plants intertwining up and down, as though they had themselves grown from the wood.She was lying on an L-shaped coach.The kind you’d see in a therapist’s office.Her head was nuzzled in a bunch of big poofy cushions that had frills curling out from the seams.

The whistling persisted, urging her to turn her stiff neck to see what it was.

Sitting on an old-styled American armchair, made of rosewood veneer, pine, and chestnut, was a man. He looked to be in this late-thirties or older.

The top of the headboard was beautifully shaped in various forms of blooms and vines, and the whistling was coming from a small  teapot atop a squat firewood stove.

Geez, what century was this?

‘Where am I?’ Madison wracked her brain, and then it all came back to her.Seeing the unfamiliar house, wandering inside, then breaking a very expensive Chinese jar.Madison felt so bad she freaked out and her heart nearly gave in.Now here the man was taking care of a stranger who jus waltzed into his house, uninvited, and broke something irreplaceable.

A pang of guilt sent tremors through her, and her chest began to throb again.The man poured some hot water into a petite little cup and came to Madison’s side.

‘Here.’ he presented the cup on a miniature ceramic coaster.

‘Sir, I’m so sorry about the vase,’ Madison cried, ignoring the cup completely, ‘I don’t know how much money I can get, but I promise I’ll—‘

‘Don’t’, he cut her off and she bit her tongue, ‘your only concern should be your health.’

He placed the coaster in her hands and didn’t let go until he was certain she had a good hold on it.In the back of his mind hoping she wouldn’t break this also.

‘I’m sorry,’ she murmured again.

The man’s eyes were softer than she remembered yesterday. They looked more understanding, more composed.It was the first time she actually got a good look at his face.He was rather pale, and age was evident around his eyes that were ringed by laugh lines and dark circles that gave the impression he hadn’t slept in a long while.

But he must have been handsome in his earlier years judging from his high raised brows, his straight, flawless nose, and his proud chin.His hair was a dark wash, with a few grey streaks, and neatly slicked back, with perfectly trimmed sideburns that only reached as far as his earlobes.  His attire was also something of moderate elegance.  He looked like he was wearing something right out of 'Titanic'.  Grand, respectable, as a noble gentleman with very particular taste.

‘Drink your tea now young miss, it will calm you down. You mustn’t trouble yourself so. It’s not good for your health.’

He took a stool from in front of a long dusty book case and sat next to Madison. She looked at the contents of the cup, and it smelled of sweet, steamy camomile .It was a dark shade of gold, like smooth liquid honey. She took a sip, and it stung her upper lip. Madison had to bite back a gasp.The tea wasn’t exactly bursting with flavour, but it had a sweet essence that was evident on her tongue.

The man cleared his throat at her side.

‘I must also apologize,’ Madison looked at him surprised, ‘I should have realised it earlier. Had I known about your condition, I would not have been so harsh with you. I’m afraid the fit that you’ve suffered was due to my callousness, and for that I offer my sincerest apologies.’ He nodded his head slightly forward, and Madison couldn’t help but get all flustered.

‘Oh! N-no that’s ok. Really, I shouldn’t have come into your house without permission.’

‘That is also true,’ he looked up at her with one slender raised brow, and she gulped, ‘but,’ he continued, ‘I suppose it couldn’t have been helped.  You were only curious.  And I can’t say I mind the,’ he paused, ‘unexpected company.  It’s been a long while since I’ve had any guests.’

His face fell for a moment, and Madison felt bad for him.  He must have been lonely in this huge, gloomy house all alone.  She found it odd that it looked so run-down on the outside, but so pristine on the inside?

‘I beg your pardon miss, I seemed to have forgotten my manners,’ he cleared his throat and straightened his back, ‘I am Gabriel Beaumont.’ He announced, as if introducing himself before someone of esteemed importance.

Madison suddenly felt so uncivilised next to this man. He seemed to have such high standards.

‘Oh,’ was her ever-so-graceful response.

She mentally face-palmed herself and tried again.

‘I’m Madison. Madison Paige.’ She put on her friendliest smile and held out the hand that wasn’t holding the coaster with the tea cup.

‘It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ms. Paige.’ He took her hand, but didn’t shake, still very mindful of his fine china she held with flimsy fingers.

His felt cold and clammy. It gave Madison goose bumps, but she definitely didn’t want to be rude.

‘It’s nice to meet you too.’She replied as benevolently as she could muster.

When Madison finished her tea, it was late, and her parents had probably set up an Amber Alert for her by now.  Mr. Beaumont offered to call a cab.  He even accompanied her to her house.  She was actually dreading it, because she knew her parents would freak at her.  They’d be worried to death by now, probably thinking she had a fit and passed out somewhere on the street.

The cab arrived in front of her house, and Mr. Beaumont opened the door for her.  Madison tried to think if anyone aside from her dad had ever held the car door open for her.

‘Madison! Where have you been? We’ve been worried sick about you!’ Evelyn, Madison’s mother, bellowed after answering the door.

Before Madison could say anything, she plucked her into her for a tight hug, almost completely forgetting about Mr. Beaumont, who stood regally at the door.

‘Oh, thank you so much for bringing her home,’ Madison’s mother cried, still keeping her in a loving choke-hold, ‘however will we thank you Mister...’ she paused, waiting for him to respond.

‘Gabriel Beaumont,’ he quickly replied, ‘I’m an instructor at Mumford High.’

‘Oh really?’ Madison’s mother beamed, and Madison looked dumbstruck, ‘That's the school Maddy goes to.’

No way, was the last thought on Maddy's mind.