C H A P T E R 1

YEN'S POV

"Will you stop, won't you? Why don't you go with your sister in Medical school?! Why can't you be the same as your sister? Make me proud Yen. At least, in that way. I'm only proud of you because you're dating Ethan Cross for seven years. Ethan will be soon a surgeon. How about you?", mom said to me on call.

Oh well. What do I expect. Everytime she calls, that's what she's saying. "Yen, sweetheart. Don't think that low of yourself. I know you can do better than what your job is now. Why don't you enter to a Medical School like your sister did? Your sister can really help you bigtime. Sweetheart, think twice of your decisions. You can't simply decide and dream of a simple life there in Manhattan. You can be a good surgeon. Like your father and sister. Or maybe a good Obgyn like me. You're so much better than a journalist and a writer, Yen. Keep that in your mind.", she added. Then I hang up.

I'm always wondering about, how important am I to them? Am I really one of their daughter? Am I adopted? Are my happiness mattered to them?

Everytime my mother calls, she's comparing me to my sister. She's always questioning me about the decisions I made and about what I really want in my life. She's always dictating me about what she wants me to do. Just like my sister, my mother really wants me to be like her. She also wants me to be a surgeon or an Obgyn.

All my life, I've been competing with my sister. How can I make my mom proud of me?

Just the fact that she's only proud of me because I'm dating Ethan. Other than that, she's not proud of me. No matter how hard I will try, it will become useless and pointless. Unless, I'll do what she wants for me to do.

**********

"How are you?", Ethan asked.

"Doing fine. How about you?", I answered.

"Well, everything about me was going fine.", he sounded so boring.

"Good. I'll hang up. I gotta go to sleep. I have a lot of works to do tomorrow. So, good night.", I did meant it.

"Okay. Good night.", he answered.

That's how our relationship going. We don't exchange I love you's. Why would I do that? I don't love him. And I never did loved him for 7 years. I only dated him for the thought of, I can make my mother proud of me in that way. I may be disappoint her because of not doing what she wants me to do, at least, I can make her proud by dating Ethan.