Sacrifice

"Lily, it hurts... Make it go away.." 

It hurts..

Make it go away...

I can save him... but, will I? Will I save him at the risk of my own? As I stroke his hair, whispering soothing words into his ear, I wonder. Am I strong enough to do it? 

"A life for a life. If I can't have yours, taking his, is just as sweet."

I'm not going to take let him take you." as Lily clung unto Josh, she whispered with certainty, trying to persuade herself more than the dying boy in her arms.

"Are we sure about that, darling?"

That voice... The voice that haunts her nightmares, the voice which tormented her mornings, the voice, hauntingly melodic, teased her, bringing shivers down her spine.

A chillingly cool draft blew over them, and Josh convulsed in Lily's arms. She drew him closer to her, trying to shift her body warmth to his ice cold one.

The voice laughed, icicles forming on the cruddy walls of the dungeon at the suns of it.

"Shall we make a deal, my precious?" the voice leering at the pet name. "You take up that dagger at the corner of this room, and slowly bleed yourself to death, and I shall spare your beloved."

Lily took a look at the shining dagger that lay on the floor, and took another look at Josh. She softly caressed his face, feeling the soft stubble on his chin, her thumb running over the scar right above his lip, the one which he had gotten trying save her from jumping off a sheer cliff.

"Tick tock princess. You don't have much time, my dear." the voice taunted, bringing sunshine and warmth and suddenly ice cold wave of tsunami crashed.

Lily ran her tongue over her parched lips. Josh's weary whisper floated to her ears. "No, don't do it. Don't trust him." following with a hacking cough, with droplets of blood spilling out from his mouth.

Staring at the crimson liquid that was splashing unto the floor, Lily struggled.

"Look at the blood, Lil'. Is it gonna be yours, or are you too selfish to save the one that you proclaim to love." another laugh rang through the dingy room. "Ah, humans. Always spouting words they never meant."

"I love him." Lily growled fiercely.

"Do you really?"

"Do I really?" Lily was ready to question herself too. "Do I really love him?" She shook herself and pressed her forehead on Josh's.

"Yes. I love Josh, and nothing you say is going to prove me otherwise."

"Then prove it. Prove that what you say is true." the voice rang, clear and challenging.

Lily planted her lips on his'. Slowly savoring the smell of Josh's aftershave, reliving the times when they snuck a few kisses before having to retire to their respective homes, the times when they were having so much enjoyment each other's presence, before softly placing Josh on the floor, and picking up the dagger.

The dagger lay in her hand, cold and dangerous. Slowly, she ran the dagger from her left shoulder, slowly spiraling down her left arm to a stop at the tip of her left thumb. Warm blood gushed out from the wound like water overflowing the banks of a river and splashed on the cold concrete floor.

Black spots invaded Lily's sight. Another laugh echoed on the walls, but this time, it was from Lily. Lightheaded, she held the bloodied dagger up and drew another spiraling line, this time on her right arm. As blood seeped from her veins, she fight for consciousness.

"There, I did it. Now save him, save Josh." her voice, yet unlike hers rasped.

A black hooded man formed from the darkness, and glided forward, stopping in front of Lily. The man kneeled down to her level, and cupped her face up to face his, but Lily could see nothing through shadows of the hood.

"My dear, lovely flower, Death never plays fair." 

Josh screamed in the background. Lily stained to see Josh drew his last breath and lay still, his eyes wide and terrified, lifeless.

Tears streamed down her face, mixing with the blood on her wrists.

Death lifted her hand, and placed his lips on her wrist, white, soiled with crimson red. Lily tried to pull away, but his grip was too strong for her.

His lips sucked on the wound. "Fresh blood and tears, don't you think this is the best taste you could ever taste."

Lily fought the urge to empty her stomach contents. Death lifted his lips, and pressed it firm on Lily's. His lips were as cold as marble, and she could taste the metallic tang of her own blood.

Darkness swarmed over her, and the last thing she saw was the red flame of Death's eyes, his last words to her ringing repeatedly.

"You should've saved yourself."

%*@:-)=£!£

A one-shot thirty minutes after Christmas! Love you guys, please comment and vote! A belated merry Christmas and happy New year you all!