Phone Calls

I awoke the morning of August 12th, 2013, seemingly normal except for the fact that nothing was ever normal for me. I was an orphan living with other orphans that range between the ages of five and seventeen, and oddly enough, all of them were girls and boys with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Quietly, I put on my black and white polka dotted slippers and my red satin bath robe, tip toeing down to the kitchen to make myself and the other children breakfast.

As I neared the kitchen, I heard Rose, a petite young woman with brown hair and piercing green eyes, talking on the phone with someone.

 "So you're interested? That's great! Esther is a very sweet girl and always does as she's told. I assure you that you and John will have no problem with her." She said, chuckling darkly as she continued to talk with the person on the phone.

Was I seriously going to be adopted?

 Carefully, I backed away from the door, waiting until I reached the hard wood stairs before turning on my heel and running up them. Running down the hall, I stopped at Kira's, another girl that lived in the orphanage, door and knocked on the mahogany wood.

 "Kira! Open the door! It's urgent!" I whispered, collapsing into the room right on my face as she opened the door, black hair unkempt.

  After she finished laughing hysterically, Kira helped me up, clutching her stomach as she tried to keep her composure.

 "What's so important that you had to face plant onto my floor?" She asked, sitting down on her purple zebra print comforter and flipping through her magazine. Kira has been here since she was a baby and was the same age as me, although from the time she was eight until she was eleven and a half she had been adopted, but the family gave her back because she didn't get along with the other children, at least, that's what she told me. When she was only three days old, her parents left her on the front door step on a cold December evening.

 Kira was my age and was the first that had welcomed me into the orphanage and we had quickly become friends.

 "I heard Rose talking on the phone with someone. I think I'm going to be adopted..." I started, trailing off and looking out the bay window that over looked the beach, my blue eyes eventually looking back at Kira.

 "Well, isn't that a good thing? You'll have a family again, don't you want one?" She asked, standing up and coming over to where I stood, arms crossed, eyes looking around anxiously.

 "I do, it's all I've ever wanted since my family died six months ago, but I don't want to leave you. You're the only friend I have, my other friends left me after the accident."

 Since the accident, I hadn't been myself, that much I knew.

 After I moved to the orphanage, my friends had all given up on me, never once daring to be seen with an orphan like me.

 "Well, you can't stop a family from adopting you. You should have a chance at being happy."

 I sighed, looking back out the window.

 "But I'm happy here!"

 Kira rolled her eyes, "Well, you and I both know that's not true. Something else is bothering you, what is it? We'll still see each other at school, won't we?"

 I shrugged, "I'm not sure about anything anymore."

 Kira was about to speak once more before someone knocked on the door.

 "Come in!" Kira called.

 Rose entered the room, giving each of us a warm smile and not even noticing the glare that Kira sent her way.

 "Esther, you have a meeting with a nice couple who are interested in adopting you. They'll be here on Monday." She said, brushing her long brown hair out of her face.

 The woman put a gentle hand on my shoulder as I looked at the calendar on Kira's vanity.

 Today was Friday.

 This meant there were two days until I could possibly be adopted.

 Rose looked back down at me, green eyes giving me all I needed to know.

 "You'll be alright."

 I nodded and got up, taking Kira by her arm and waking up the other children.

 "What was your family like?" She asked as I yelled down the hall, telling all the children to get their lazy asses out of bed or they won't get any pancakes.

 "Well, from what I remember, my parents were nice and they spoiled my little sister and I. I can't remember much about them except for the fact that their names were Anne-Marie and Brett. My sister was named Hannah and I could vaguely remember that she hadn't even started puberty yet. I remember that I had gotten into a fight with her the day of the accident." I said, letting the tears fall down my pale cheeks.

 Kira hugged me and let me cry into her shoulder.

 "It's alright. It wasn't your fault, always remember that, and no matter what happens, I'll always be here for you." She whispered into my ear, rubbing my back soothingly like my own mother used to do.

 And I believed her.