Makeup May Change Your Life

Chapter 1

What’s a Little Fairy Dust

Planet Persia

Second Lieutenant Rosemarie Mortlock thanked her new acquaintances again for his personalized tour of the city. Brigadier General Aurelius had granted her request for the tour earlier today, when it was offered to her at the first-contact meeting on ship.

The people of Planet Persia were advanced. And General Aurelius said meetings were both a nice gesture to show the aliens that they came in peace, and to allow the senior officers a chance to indulge in fresh air. Meeting aliens who looked, smelled and talked like humans, struck a deep cord within her. 

When her shift on the ship ended, Rosemarie raced to the planet for the tour with her guide, Aladenia. Rosemarie had talked to Aladenia for days and days, and already thought of her as a friend. Now, finally they were meeting. They'd hugged when Rosemarie made it to the planet, although the beginning of the day must be formal.

Aladenia had led the tour. Rosemarie followed along with her shipmates, including Brigadier General Aurelius, who she'd had a secret crush on all her life. The Earthlings were shown some museum pieces, and other antiquated communication attempts that Aladenia's people had created throughout the years. 

When they finally left the museum, the groups split up. The men decided to go off together, and Rosemarie had freedom to talk to her new friend without interruption. 

Aladenia had promised her some girl-time. Once they said their goodbyes, they headed to the marketplace. Shopping became fun, most especially since she was on an alien planet. 

“You are the only female on your ship not married, correct?” asked Aladenia.

 Rosemarie felt like she was talking to an old girlfriend from her hometown Splendid. “I'm not the only one,” she answered with a smile. “But I want a career.”

“No one man interests you?”

“I want a man. But I've yet to find one, who likes the idea of me being on a space ship for years without him.”

Adadenia led her to a store on their left. “Then marry someone on your starship.”

Rosemarie refused to let her mind wander. “There are rules against fraternization.”

“That didn't seem to stop Majors Peter and Grace Newman.”

Her married friends on the tour with them. Rosemarie nodded. “True, but I'm not equal in rank to men that I'm interested in. And besides, the men on the Zoroastra lack a certain 'bad-boy, rule-breaking' mentality.”

 “So there is someone on your ship that you wish would break a few rules for you?”

 Yes, Matthew Aurelius. Rosemarie quickly quashed her silly daydream. It's not going to happen. So why wonder, when she'll only make herself unhappy in the end?

“You need Dilorithum Dust,” Aladenia said.

“Dilorithum Dust? What's that?”

“I apologize. Dilorithum Dust is a topical cosmetic many of us put on our faces. It promises that an interested man will make himself known to the girl. It's supposed to drive men crazy. Unfortunately for us, the product doesn't actually work as promised. It makes the face sparkle very nicely, though. Would you like to try some?”

Rosemarie nodded yes. “The cosmetics companies on our world used to promise women the same thing.”

“Our worlds have much in common.”

“If my father is right, we’re all from the same ancestors.”

“Our legends also speak of star people.” Aladenia added. “Your people look very similar to us, except that Earthlings have a variety of skin colors.”

Rosemarie glanced at her alien friend. Aladenia looked white, but the Persians had no coloring under their skin. No olive or pinkish undertones. They seemed more like ghosts. Rosemarie felt glad to be human. Her Greek and Irish ancestry gave her dark hair, and a temper to match anyone.

Rosemarie bought a package of Dilorithum Dust, because the smell made her feel heavenly.