Back Of My Head

Credit to Short Stack. And Andy for singing the amazing song.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I remember seeing him. He stood outside our front window. It was late and Matt wasn’t supposed to be home yet but I could see he was. I was still up and sat in front of the open window on the couch watching T.V. I pretended not to see him. I didn’t want to think that something was wrong.

As the days passed Matt seemed to get more, distant, from me. I could tell that he wanted me to forget the murderous, sadistic look in his eyes. I knew he knew that I knew. Forgetting seemed to be impossible. All I could do was push it to the back of my head, where I knew it still lingered.

~

A few days later my best friend from high school came to visit me. As I welcomed Scott into my house he gave me a hug. I hugged him back, offering him a drink once we had separated. He nodded and spoke a quick yes as he took a seat on the couch in front of the open front window.

For hours we talked. Mostly about his new boyfriend Guy and his ‘coming out’ to his parents.

When Scott said farewell, he gave me a quick kiss on the lips before giving me a big bear hug. As he did I saw three shadows strewn across the wall. I and Scott were the only ones in the house and I could see our shadows to the right of the wall. But the other shadow, it looked familiar. But I couldn’t quite put my finger on who the figure was…

As I slowly turned back to face Scott I saw the other shadow pull out a gun from its coat pocket out of the corner of my eye. I quickly turned back to see the shadow vanish. There was no gun. No person. I knew I was paranoid from the window incident with Matt. I was just seeing things. I must have been.

I turned the handle of the front door as Scott picked up his coat from the couch. As I did my boyfriend, Matt, aimed, and shot. He was the other shadow?

As fast as I could I ran out of the front door, letting my screams of sympathy for Scott escape once I had arrived at the small park from a few streets down. There was a giant crowd of people. I would be safe here. There would be witnesses.

As I ran into the centre of the massive crowd I screamed for help. I screamed at the top of my lungs but not a single person turned to face me. They all seemed oblivious to my presence. Worrying about Matt and how he might come after me, I quickly escaped the crowd and hid behind a group of hedges that made a sort of maze shape at the back of the park.

The small cluster of green shrubs hid me well as I saw Matt walk through the crowd and head straight towards me. My heart beat quickened as he didn’t bother hiding the gun from the people around him. Somehow they weren’t frightened. Why were they not scared? Why were they still laughing? Chatting?

As I continued to hide myself in the hedges, Matt’s eyes roamed the area as he called out for me.

“Are you out there Sophie? Are you…anywhere?” He sung as I felt my whole body shake with fear. Before I knew it my body was rising. I hadn’t told it to! I had no control… As much as I told my body to go down or to stop walking and hide behind the hedges it wouldn’t obey.

“Found you!” He taunted as he walked towards me slowly, his gun held tightly in his hand.

I began to cry as my body continued to disobey me and walked towards him faster. His hand beckoned me.

When I had approached him my body faltered and collapsed. As I fell to the floor Matt’s hand weaved itself into my hair. I let out a painful shriek as he bean to drag me into the centre of the park and pulled my head up to look at him. I couldn’t help but stare at the merciless eyes that scared me, but I once loved.

“Trying to run from me huh?” He whispered into my ear. He let go of my hair and I started to make a plan to run for it but again, my legs and body wasn’t listening. They were like stone beneath me.

“You killed Scott! Of course I was going to run!” I yelled at him. He began to circle me like a vulture.

“You were cheating on me!” He spat back at me. He stopped and tapped the gun on his head lightly as he let out a dark laugh.

“He’s gay! I wasn’t cheating!” I screamed at him. He smiled.

“That’s a LIE! You can’t go anywhere. I’m lost without you babe.” He confessed as he knelt to my height.

“What are you going to do to me then? You can’t kill me if you’re lost without me!” I had him caught. Once I was able to move I would run for it.

“I’m a terrible person Soph, you’d…be better off dead.” My face dropped. I was going to die. “Oh,” He mentioned as he stepped behind me. “I know that you pushed the whole ‘window thing’ in the back off your head. I’m going to make sure none of this gets out.” He said as he placed the barrel of the gun to the back of my head. I closed my eyes, cringing in preparation of the pain.

As the bang went off numbness took over my body. I was gone. Dead.

~

“Shit…” I mumbled as I woke up and gripped at my hair. Just a nightmare…just a nightmare…but it must have been something more. Scott and I, Matt didn’t know about that. He couldn’t. The last time we kissed, he may have seen us through the window but I told him Scott was gay and he seemed to believe it…

Trying to calm myself down I woke up Matt who slept next to me and lay in his arms. His left arm wrapped around my shoulders and his right around my waist.

I snuggled into his neck. As I did I felt the barrel of a gun pressed up against the back of my head.

“Matt? Honey?” I asked as my eyes began to tear and my palms became sweaty.

“Tell me Soph…Who’s Scott?”

Gone. Dead.

___________________________________________________________________________

Written By Joy.