Chapter 4

Jack looked at the girl before him in quiet astonishment. What had she just called him? He must have heard her wrong. No one in nearly nine years had called him Big Brother, it was a privilege he reserved only for his little sister who had died with his father all those years ago.

"What?" he asked cautiously, thinking he hadn't heard right.

He saw her hesitate slightly and look down at the ground before answering him, "Nothing."

Jack looked down at the small girl before him, really looked. Honey brown hair cascaded down her back in curls ending just at her waist. She had an athletic body and curves any girl he knew would envy, while her frame was thin and petite. But her violet eyes were what captured his attention the most. They contrasted with her appearance, but they didn't make her look odd, only more beautiful. Those eyes were the same as ones that had haunted his nightmares for years. She was...who exactly?

"Look at me. What did you say before?"

Amelia looked up into his eyes and felt her heart break. She'd found her brother. She'd finally gotten to see him after years and years of thinking he was dead and he didn't even know who she was. And he never could know. There was no real guarantee he would even believe she was his sister and if he did happen to believe it, what action would he take? How would he feel toward her? Hate, relief, love, rejection?

She wasn't only his sister anymore. She was Lazarus's servant dog that had murdered hundreds of people. Who would ever want a murderer as a sister?

Jack sensed the struggle going on inside her, but he needed to know. "Listen to me. I need to know your name-"

A loud crash sounded, cutting him off. Amelia grabbed a hold of Emily as the glass windows burst and everyone fell to the floor, trying to protect themselves. A scream escaped from Emily at the sight of men and wolves bursting through the now open windows.

"Shit." Amelia knew they would come sooner or later. Their mission wasn't supposed to take this long and Lazarus had a knack for always knowing when something went wrong.

Amelia grabbed a hold of Emily and shielded her with her own body. Three men and four wolves in total had come through the windows, but she knew far more would come later if they stayed too long. She hated using her abilities but it couldn't be helped. She focused on the minds around her and singled out the two that she was familiar with. She focused on those minds alone and sent her message to them.

Get out of here. Take Emily and leave. She sent the thought to Thorne and Jack and could only hope they took her advice.

Amelia gripped her knife and before she could think it through, she launched herself at one of the men closest to her. She had surprise on her side, allowing her to successfully lodge a knife in his rib cage. He fell to the ground and all hell burst loose.

The men and wolves all focused on her and surrounded her. She was outnumbered, but she had her skill and years of training. She wouldn't be defeated by these men, but she worried for the others. She dreaded using her powers, but would use them if she though it was absolutely necessary.

Amelia dodged as a wolf thrust himself at her with snapping jaws. She stepped sideways and raked her knife against his side leaving a gash with blood pouring out. He fell to the floor with a thud. Without missing a beat, she turned and began fighting with another man. The man was short and fast, but lacked in muscle. His knife breezed right past her ear as she dodged. She moved in and shoved her knife deep into his chest, knowing it would reach his heart. He grabbed the knife, trying desperately to take it out. She turned the knife sideways with it still in him and pulled it out. His lifeless body dropped to the floor. Three down, four to go.

She caught movement on her side and immediately turned to face her next opponent. Two wolves advanced on her, growling. One wolf hurled himself toward her, snipping at her legs. The other jumped in for the kill, trying to tear at her throat. Knowing she couldn't dodge both, she focused on the one aiming for her throat. Striking her hand out, she grabbed him just as the wolf pounced on her and snapped his neck.

Amelia whimpered as she felt a scorching pain in her leg, but she didn't stop to think. In one quick motion she swooped down, reached under the wolf's neck and used her knife to slice his throat from ear to ear.

She turned once more, waiting for the last two to attack her. Instead she found the remaining man and wolf lying at the feet of Jack and Thorne who stood in front of Emily protectively. Both men looked up at her with shocked expressions after taking in the sight of her.

Amelia stood in the middle of the room, her clothes and hair covered in blood while holding a knife. The wolves and men were fallen at her feet piled on top of one another. The image she posed gave off an imposing aura, making her seem unapproachable.

Thorne was thoroughly impressed. He and Jack had each only taken down a single enemy in the span of time it took her to take down five. She had power and skill that could easily have overtaken his. Before he could say anything, she spoke to them telepathically again.

You should have taken my advice before and left me to deal with the men and wolves, but I thank you for the help. Now, you need to leave and take Emily with you. It isn't safe for any of you to be here longer than necessary. Amelia's face was kept passive throughout the speech, but Thorne could sense the urgency behind the words. He wasn't about to leave her here to fend for herself, however strong she may be.

"What will you do? Fight the rest that come? You know you won't be able to win against them. Come with us. We can help protect you." Thorne was surprised to find his voice pleading, but didn't care. He had a sudden urgency to protect her and make sure nothing would happen to her.

"Have you forgotten?" she asked him quietly, reverting to physically talking again. "I am the enemy. I am like the men lying dead on the floor and nothing will change that."

"Ameel." She snapped her head in her brother's direction instinctively and realized she had just given herself away. "You aren't like them. You helped us, right?"

"Ameel?" Thorne asked in disbelief as he looked between her and jack. "You can't be serious? Your sister's dead."

"No, that's just what we assumed, right Ameel?" His voice was incredibly gentle and she couldn't take it anymore. He wasn't supposed to just accept her. He was supposed to hate her.

She bolted. She ran from the house and didn't look back.

___________________

Comment & vote plz!!