Chapter 10: The Mistake

Nick was lying on the floor, unconscious. Chassella was lying down with a desk on her, in a pool of blood. Desks had toppled. Crafts had broken. The other students were cowering in the corner opposite from where used-to-be-conscious Nick was kissed by i-think-used-to-be-living Chassella . Ms. Sybill was standing in front trying to protect them, muttering something about someone escaping from Askaban. Whatever that is.

   I crawled over to Nick, so I could wake him up. I found a water bottle and poured it on him. He sprang up and shook like a dog. "Nick, I need your help to help me help Chassella ."

   He kept his distance, but nodded. He swallowed. "Nick, what's wrong?"

   "Nothing, it's just.... How did that happen? And what happened while I was out?"

    "Nick, I was unconscious the whole time except for about 30 seconds until you woke up. And I was waking you up." We shook our heads out of the sadness of the disaster. "Ok. You are a Boy Scout, right?"

  "Yes. I am certified in first aid."

   "Great. Assess the damage of Chassella . I am going to call an ambulance, my parents, her parents,
and..... Are going to come with us?"

"Oh yeah. Definitely. And it was kinda my fault."

  "I highly doubt that, but I will call your parents. While I do all of that, I am going to find a stretcher or wheelchair. I will also get a nurse to help you out. Don't tell them exactly what happened, but something similar. Like someone got mad and I desk was shoved on her. I'm gonna go."

   Nick nodded, but shook his head. "Jay, when did you pass out?"

  The horror play through my head. Chassella kissing Nick. Nick being confused, yet happy. Then really not happy. Chassella putting her arms around Nick and holding him close. I couldn't stand it. "Jay, are you okay?"

Nick snapped me out of my memory/shock induced anti-awareness. "Right. Yeah. I was just... thinking. Um... I think I passed out when... Chassella put both arms around your neck."

   "Oh. Ok. Alright, we need to get to work. Go. Hurry." I turned and bolted out of my classroom. Turn left. Down the hall. Hang a right. Swing a left into the main office. Then a right. And the nurse's office was on my left.

   I busted in and blurted out a quick explanation. "Hi. My-name-is-Jaydene. I-have-a-friend-who-is-unconscious-and-needs-immediate-medical-attention. I-called-an-ambulance. Hey-look-a-stretcher. I'm-just-gonna-take-that-and-run. FOLLOW ME!" I grabbed the stretcher and sprinted out of there. Two, very confused nurses chased after me in full pursuit.

I got back and everyone was crowding around Chassella. Nick looked both irritated and devastated. Everyone was asking questions and yelling. Nick sawed and mouthed,"Help." Then he saw the stretcher. "We are definitely gonna need that." I needed to help Chassella and the nurse's were almost here.

  "Alright! Everybody back up! Mrs. Sybil, please control them. We have work to do and most of you will be taking in for questioning. Nick! How is she?" I was yelling with fury.

I walked over, shoving people, and set the stretcher next to Chassella. "Nick, how is she?" I place my hand on her forehead hoping maybe the feeling of my hand might make her come to. Hold on. She's unconscious. Ding! "Nick, if just unconscious then why don't we just splash her with water to wake her up like I did with you?" He frowned. Uh oh. Please be unconscious. Please be unconscious. Not dead. Not dead.

  "Umm, Jay. I don't know how to tell you this but... um..."

    "What?"

    "There's no need for the ambulances. I'm sorry."

     "What do mean?"

      "She is out."

      "Sleeping?"

      "No. Jay, I don't want to hurt you but I need to put this bluntly." He hugged me like I was a child. I didn't want to be a child, but I let him. "Jay, Chassella is... is. Well, as far as I can tell, Chassella is dead. I couldn't feel a pulse." I couldn't believe it. My best friend was dead. I let it consume me as I curled into a ball. Everything was starting to turn black. I was going to cry, but I suddenly felt shaky. No. Not me. Nick. He was still holding me. He was shaking.

   "Nick, are you okay? You almost more devastated than me."

   "I did it. It was me. It was my fault. I killed Chassella. I didn't mean to. It just happened." He still thought this whole was his fault. I wasn't. It was mine.

  I heard sirens. The ambulance. The class was gone. They must have left when I scared them. But where were the nurses? Probably with the doctors, who want to take Chassella to the hospital. Where her parents will be. What am I going to do?

  I couldn't think I grabbed my phone and called the last number who called, Matthew.

  "Jay. Are you there? Are you okay?" Matthew was nervous. Did he know?

"My...Cha...d...fau...bbsgfsdjgjvjfhahwgcknshfjc. Noooo!" Or I said something along those lines.

"Jay, are you okay? Can you speak?"

I couldn't do it. I burst into tears and Nick held me tighter. He also took the phone from me.

"Hello?" Nick still didn't know who I was talking to.

"Who are you? You don't sound like Jaydene."

"Yes. I am Nick Ryan, Jaydene's friend. I took the phone for her."

"You sound like a good... Wait. Ryan? As in Blake Ryan, the scientist from Element Industries."

"Yes, that's my dad. How did you know?"

"I worked with your dad. Also, I am your neighbor. Wait, where were we? Oh right, Jaydene. Is she okay?"

"Um. Well. She's grieving. Jay, do you want me to tell him or you to tell him?"

I took a deep breath and retrieved my courage. "I will." Nick handed me the phone. "Matthew. I made a terrible mistake. Lynevne. I glitched and well it ended badly. I need to get rid of my gift as soon as possible. Also, come down to the school. Bring Mom and Chassella's dad. "

"What happened?"

"My powers glitches and Chassella got the full blast of my powers."

"Oh no. Stay where you are. Don't let anyone talk to you except Nick. Stay calm. Also, you can trust Nick. His dad was one of us."

"Really. Ok. Hurry. Bye." Click.