33

The police came a few minutes later as they sat on the bed while Maine cried. He didn't know how they got there, but apparently one of the neighbors saw his car with its engine still running and got curious. When the neighbor came closer to investigate, he saw Tim's dead body on the doorway and called the police.

He watched as an officer examined Brent while Maine buried her face on his chest, weeping. They announced Brent dead on the spot and he had to shield Maine away from the sight of Brent's bloodied face and smashed head as they lifted him up.

The police brought them to the precinct office for questioning and Maine was still in complete shock as they sat on the backseat of the police car. He called her several times but she was unresponsive and was just staring blankly out the window.

Alden did his best to shield Maine against all the interrogation but the police were adamant at getting her side of the story, which earned more sobs from her.

Finally they decided to clear them from any charges as they accounted Brent's actions as trespassing and that they ended up killing him for self defense. The police also found the record of the charges they filed against Brent in Palawan and that pretty much cleared everything up.

After getting the medical attention they needed, the police drove them back to Maine's house so they could get Alden's car. He took her to his home as soon as they got it and Maine was silent throughout the whole drive and even until they got to Alden's house.

"Maine..." he called softly as he sat her on his bed and knelt on the floor in front of her. "Talk to me, please."

"I killed him," Maine whispered, her expression blank.

Alden sighed. "Yes you did because that was the only choice you had. He would've killed us both if you didn't do that. Actually he already took your life away two years when he started physically hurting you."

Maine nodded. "That's why each blow felt so good. I felt like I was finally getting back at him for all the pain he caused me - physically, mentally and emotionally," she said bitterly, but then her expression turned into despair again. "I'm a different person now, Alden... I just killed someone. I've got his blood on my hands. How can I ever escape from that?" she cried out and her tears started coming again.

Alden sat beside her and hugged her tight, not really knowing what to say. "Maine, you'll get through this..." he whispered. "And you'll have me with you every step of the way."

He felt her hugging him back tight and they stayed in that position for several minutes.

"Do you want to sleep now?" Alden asked her after a few minutes.

"Not in these clothes," she said.

"Do you want to take a shower first?" he asked and she nodded.

He led her to the bathroom outside his room but she didn't let go of his hand as she walked in. Alden felt her trembling.

"Stay with me?" she asked him and there was a pleading look in her eyes.

"Of course," he nodded, and he walked in with her.

Maine stepped into the shower stall and turned on the valve while Alden stood in front of the mirror with his back turned to her.

He noticed from the reflection that she was just standing there looking up at the shower head, fully clothed as the water drenched her.

Alden sighed and stepped into the shower too. He registered the surprised look on her face for a moment before he kissed her. He did so softly and gently, determined to let her know just how much he loved her.

Maine looked up at him when they pulled away. "Will you still love me when you wake up in the morning and realize just how messed up I am?" she asked him, whispering.

"I will love you forever and ever, Maine. I fell in love with everything that you were, bruises and all, and I will continue loving you until you realize that you are all that matters to me. I don't care about your past, I don't care about what you've done, I'm here. And I love you... with every shred of my being." he whispered to her earnestly.

Maine gulped a sob and reached for his face, pulling him in for another kiss. She kissed him hard this time, her gratitude and love overflowing, and Alden gently pushed her to the wall with one hand on her nape and the other hand placed flat against the tiles.

He was kissing her carefully. He'd meant to be gentle, very gentle, because he knew that she was broken and he wanted to be careful in gluing back her shattered bits. But she wished no part in that gentleness. She pulled him closer, searing his lips with passionate kisses until she felt him kissing back with as much ardor.

She felt his other hand move away from the wall and travel from her shoulders to her arms and then settled on her waist as he pinned her against the tiles.

"Take me," she whispered against his lips and that was enough to break his control.

He quickly lifted her blouse up and removed it from her body then did the same for his shirt. Their heat sparked as they felt each other's skin against their own, and already she was moaning against his mouth as she savored the pleasures of his touches.

The rest of their clothes were gone in an instant and he felt her fingers rake against his back as he moved his lips to her jaw and up to her ear and then bit her gently on her favorite spot on the neck just below her earlobe.

He turned her around so she was facing the wall and he kissed the back of her ears and trailed his lips down the side of her neck, across her shoulders and on the sensitive spot on her nape, sending fiery electric currents all over her body. She held her waist and whispered, "Ready?" and she nodded.

He gently turned her face to the side and kissed her as he eased inside her and she moaned against his lips. He began his steady climb, holding her close as she came undone with each thrusts.

He felt her clench around him and her mouth stopped responding to his kisses and he knew at once that she has reached her peak and came. He eased out and turned her to face him again. Then he lifted her up and wrapped her legs around his waist before taking her once more, kissing her deeply on the lips as he worked his way up until he found his own release.

++++++

He watched her as she slept. She was lying on her side facing him and there was a calmness on her face that warmed his heart as he studied her sleeping form.

So much had happened in the last 8 months or so and he realized just how far he'd gone from how he was before he met her.

That day he saw her in front of the building, he had actually been lamenting the divorce of his parents. He had been writing on his journal, scribbling all the feelings and thoughts he had about his parents that he had not been allowed to say.

His mom was a mess after being a victim of physical abuse by his dad for so long. His dad ran off with some other woman and although he did not miss his dad, he wished that his parents had been able to fix their issues somehow... for him.

After what he had witnessed on his parents' relationship, he had vowed never to let himself fall in love or commit to any deep romantic relationship. He had several flings - it was easy with the looks and brooding charm that he had - but he never fell in love... until he looked up that afternoon in January and gazed into those sad, light brown eyes.