*Chapter Thirteen*

Start from the beginning

The wheels of the plane touched the ground, and I clenched my teeth from the noise. The plane soon came to a stop, and we descended the ladder.

“Lord Evan asked for the two of your presence,” a servant came up and informed us.

He was already here? That was fast.

I followed after Lyorin, and we made our way up the stairs. If I had a choice, I would never want to live in such a big house. Lyorin knocked on the door and opened it. I followed in after him and saw his father sitting in front of the fireplace with his back to us.

“Father,” Lyorin spoke, “we're here.”

There was no reply.

“Father?”

He was still. I felt my body move on its own accord. Before I knew it, I was already moving towards the fireplace. I just had the time to take in the King's wide opened eyes and the pool of blood by his feet before I felt something heavy collided against me. I twisted my head and saw two things.

First, Lyorin had thrown himself on top of me. Second, right above him, a deadly sharp arrow zipped past him. The next thing I knew, we were both sprayed with a sand-like substance.

Lyorin had managed to not put any of his weight on me. Just as he stood up, the door burst open.

“Lord Evan -”

There was a moment of silence. I quickly got up only to see Klyre standing by the door. Her eyes went from Lyorin to the ashes by his feet then back to Lyorin.

“Klyre! I told you not to -”

Kaiden stopped his sentence and followed Klyre's gaze. Just like Klyre, his eyes drifted from Lyorin to the ashes then back to Lyorin.

Realizing how misunderstanding this whole thing looked, I quickly stood up.

“We didn't kill -”

“Then why do you have Father's blood on him.”

“Kaiden, -”

Kaiden didn't wait for Lyorin to finish his sentence. Klyre let out a scream as Kaiden lunged at Lyorin. The two of them tumbled to the floor and rolled across the room. I caught sight of a startled maid by the door just behind Klyre. Before I could do anything, she had ran off. My gaze then returned to the two figures on the floor. I had to do something.

I grabbed the nearest object, a wooden chair, and aimed it at the two on the floor. I took advantage of the moment of shock and pried them apart. Kaiden had a bruised left eye, but Lyorin was almost unscathed.

“Lyorin, you have to leave -”

A shrill alarm sounded from the corridor.