Chapter 16

Recap:

I awoke gasping for air, I was drenched in sweat. I struggled with my restraints, desperately trying to get them off but came to no avail. I eventually gained my breath and looked across the room and saw Brittany's eyes, her eyes, those brown eyes that I could never forget.

Our gaze met and our eyes said the same thing, what's going on here?

********************

Tj's POV

The animals lunged for Daniel and I and I leaped out of the way, pulling Daniel with me. The beasts stumbled and fell to the ground not far behind us.

"Get up," I said to Daniel. "We're going to have to kill them somehow."

"Get off of me!" He said, ripping his arm from my grasp. I can take care of myself, I was born to kill these things."

"There ya go! Give us a show!" The guards outside the cage yelled and threw some objects in the cage with us.

"Chains?" I asked dumbfounded. At that moment I felt something hit my back and I landed to the ground in an 'oomph'. I heard the snarling and my heart started to race. I turned on my back and this monster was straddling me. I held its hands above its head, trying to keep it from taking a bite out of me.

It's lowered it's snapping jaws closer and closer to my face and I was slowly losing the battle.. It was so strong. I turned my head to the side and saw Daniel in nearly the same situation as I. Except, his face was to the mat, he wouldn't be able to stop the zombie from biting him.

This is it, all our hard work, fighting, scavenging, gone. I let my eyes shut and let fate take over.. It was my time to go. I just wish I could have said goodbye to Brittany.

Brittany. My eyes flew open and I felt an unimaginable power flow through my veins. I was not leaving this earth yet, not before I could see Brittany one last time. I kicked the zombie off of me and it smacked the cage wall and slumped against the ground. I stood up and grabbed the chains off of the mat. They wanted a show, let's give them one.

I ran over to the monster on top of Daniel and wrapped the chains around its neck and lifted it from Daniel's body. I continued wrapping the chain tighter and tighter around its throat until it wouldn't wrap anymore. I looked into its eyes, those blood red eyes that I used to fear. Not anymore. I am the Apex Predator. Nothing will stop me from seeing my sister. Especially not these rotten meat sacks. With one last squeeze, I heard the monster's neck snap and it's eyes bulge from its sockets, covering my face in blood.

I reached down and lifted Daniel from the ground. He smacked my hand. "Don't touch me! I had him, I didn't need your help." My hands distinctively wrapped around his throat.

"Listen to me you fucking worm, you are nothing. I could kill you just as easy as I had that fucking zombie. I don't like you, you don't me, but we're going to be putting up with each other for a while, so you better get used to it." I said and dropped him. He grasped his throat, gasping for breath.

I walked over to the zombie I had kicked off of me. It was trying to get up. I looked into its eyes one last time and brought my boot down upon its skull, satisfied with the sickening crack of its skull under my foot.

At that moment I heard the cage doors open and Aaron walked in.

"Look at what we have here. Yer' going to make a great fighter." Aaron said to me, beaming brightly.

*******************

Sorry it's so short, guys! I've been so busy but I decided this would be better than nothing. Thanks to all you guys that have stuck through to this point, you're the best! Vote and comment. 

~Nathan