2

We've been walking in a straight line for hours now, or at least what we think is straight. Everything looks the same. Same sandy landscape, but now the sun is behind us.
I'm still grasping the thought of my fathers death. Replaying the scene over and over again in my head. My chest is so hollow. He's gone. It won't process. A single tear slips down my cheek.
Aurelia keeps casting worried glances my direction but hasn't said a word since we left.
"Willow?" She finally murmurs.
I look up at her and wipe my cheek.
"I'm sorry, about your dad."
I look down as my eyes well up with tears again. Aurelia never knew her parents well. Her mother abandoned her when she was 5 because she didn't have enough supplies to care for her. We don't know who her father is. Not long after that, we found her. There were 23 of us, now we have 9. Some gave up, some were weak, some just got sick and died, not to mention the scavengers that came and killed just to take supplies. You happened upon them occasionally, if you didn't react they wouldn't harm you, just leave you with nothing to live on.
The 3 that are sick are being carried on stretchers we've made and we are taking turns pulling them. We left my father there. We couldn't bring him.
"He's gone," I whisper not trying to hide my sadness.
She nods and we walk in silence. My my thick, straight, deep red hair is hot on my neck. I wanted to cut it, dad wouldn't let me, I reminded him of mom. No tears come rushing out this time.
Aurelia sighs and smiles, "Maybe we will see some flowers today."
I nod sadly, "Yeah," I look at her, "Maybe."
~¥~
The wind is blowing hard, we are curled under blankets and tarps. The sand is hitting everything. It was stinging or eyes so we bedded down for the night.
There was no flowers today, just dried up weeds and a 2 headed lizard which we roasted. We eat a lot of lizards and an occasional root when we find it. We are all starving and dehydrated, if we don't find more water soon, we are going to die.
I'm curled up and sleeping feels useless but before I know it, I'm drifting into a deep sleep.
~¥~
I wake up gasping. I'm slick with sweat. I dreamt of fire, but it wasn't really fire. It was too thick, too smooth and my dad was there. Standing in the middle of it like he didn't notice. I'm replaying this dream in my head when I realize my cheeks are wet with tears.
"Dad," I whisper to myself.
The numb realization of his death is starting to set in. I feel nothing but a dull ache.