CH1: Barrel Racer

Start from the beginning

"But, you see, I don't have any interest in trying to make him a barrel horse because, he's just not got the right stuff in the right places for what I do. But he sure does for what you guys do." Alec couldn't argue with the girl there. He looked perfect for the part of a racing horse.

"So what are you wanting to do with him. Sell him to us?" Henry asked gruffly, looking over the stallion with wise eyes. Even though he was hiding it, Alec could tell he was in awe of the horse in front of them. But Hope shook her head.

"This is my best friend," she stated, patting the stud's neck. He arched his head towards her, blowing easily in her face, bringing a smile to her lips. "But I can't just let him sit around my place forever. He's late in his two year old year, that's not fair to him. No, I want you two to train and race him, and hopefully win on him."

Alec wanted to say yes with every bone in his body. Another horse just like the Black, only younger, more in the prime? Yes! But he didn't speak up, looking at Henry for their answer.

"I'd like to see him go before I make any promises, girl," the trainer said, crossing his arms across his chest.

She nodded in agreement. "I agree. I wouldn't have it any other way. I brought my English saddle and would love to ride him for you, but it would probably be better to show him off in a race saddle, which I don't have."

Alec spoke up quickly. "Borrow one of ours," he offered. She nodded and tied the quiet horse to the trailer, while Alec ran up to the barn and pulled his exercise saddle off its lone peg. He also grabbed the maroon blanket he had sitting with it, just in case. When he got back he saw Henry talking with Hope as she brushed the stud's coat, even though it already shone dimly. When she saw Alec she met him and took the saddle from him, slinging it over the tall horse's back. She was shorter than him, even though not by much, and he was impressed with her ethic with the tall horse. It didn't take her long at all to finish and bridle the grey.

She wasn't wearing racing attire, but had English tall boots on and a pink t-shirt. He wouldn't criticize her any for sure.

She sat nicely on the quiet horse, but now that the rider sat astride him, he started prancing, and half reared a few times. He didn't do it with intent to be dangerous, only from sheer excitement to work for the jock. He pranced all the way to the track, his clean cost glistening now in the sun with sweat.

She trotted him a bit to adjust herself to the different saddle. "I've only been in a racing saddle once," she admitted, but the seasoned rider had no trouble at all finding her balance in the small saddle. She started loping around the short track, her horse taking long, elegant strides evenly. He moved effortlessly, his head arching lowly as she held him back. He looked anxious to run, but not demanding of the girl. She loosened her grip slightly he saw by a twitch of her hands, and the stallion bounded forward, his long legs reaching far out, eating away at the track. She sat unmoving in the saddle, more evenly than some of the most seasoned jocks Alec knew, only her braid swaying in the breeze.

She brought him back down to a canter, then a trot, then a prancing walk as she neared the two watching on the rail. "He's working good today, a little excited but that's all. I'm gonna work him up and let him breeze a bit, so you can see him for yourselves." Henry nodded, motioning for her to go.

The grey broke perfectly into a canter again, swishing his tail in the sky and playfully striking out with his forelegs but never breaking stride. His eagerness to work reminded so of his own stallion. When Hope dropped her hands low and moved her body forward smoothly, he reacted immediately, collecting himself and thrusting himself into a high gallop. He could tell though, the girl was still holding smugly, and wasn't asking anything of her steed. His light and even strides ate away at the track, and she rolled around the oval with beautiful ease. Once she had finished a lap, she recollected him, brought him down to a walk, and led him to the men watching again.