First Impressions ~ Henley

Henley Reeves was dressed very nicely as she gracefully walked through Central Park. She had arrived in New York City a week ago for a little get away but that changed quickly. She had heard about this new, hotshot magician, J. Daniel Atlas. He was looking for an assistant and she was meeting with him that afternoon to talk about it.

She'd always had a small (and embarrassing) fascination with magic. She remembered bringing it up to her parents one time, saying she wanted to be one of the greatest magicians the world would ever see. Her parents had quickly banished the idea, saying she must follow them into business. They told her off for having such a childish dream. She told them she'd dismissed the idea, but childish dreams are stubborn and it lived on inside her mind.

The meeting wasn't until that afternoon so that meant she had a few hours before then to explore the city. Henley had dressed herself immaculately before leaving their hotel. Her dress was boutique, her blazer was cashmere and her gloves were of the finest black leather. She had to say she was, or at least she thought so, the most glamorous looking 20 year-old New York City had ever seen.

The first item on her agenda for her day of exploring was of course in Central Park. The Lionel Shrike tree. She'd heard about the famous tree and the card encased in glass. It was on Henley's must-see list for New York sights.

When she reached the Shrike tree, she stared at it in awe, memories of her child dream coming to mind. She continued to ponder before something in the corner of her eye caught her attention. Sitting on a nearby bench on the right side of the tree was a lone boy.

He had his brown-haired-head down as he stared at the ground with a far away look, he was probably daydreaming or something. He had a blanket filled with holes draped across his lap and the clothes he wore were dirty and hung loosely off his frame. He looked to be 8 or 9 years old.

Henley stared at the boy, noticing that no one who walked by him paid him even a second of attention. Almost as though he noticed someone was actually giving him the time of day, he looked up and his brown eyes met Henley's. Henley's hands flew up to her mouth in shock.

The boy's face was pale, covered in bruises and cuts. His face was gaunt and his brown eyes were dull. He looked seconds away from dropping dead. His cheekbones stood out and, to Henley, he seemed as though he hadn't eaten a good meal in a very long time.

Henley looked quickly around the boy and at the crowd of people that wandered by him and walked straight past him without giving him a second glance. How could they just walk by the boy when he obviously needed help? Henley wouldn't stand for it. She gave the boy one last look before she walked quickly off. She had something to do.

She missed the sad look of the boy as he once again turned his attention to the sidewalk, trying to forget the girl with the red hair. Just another person who ignored him.

Henley returned to Central Park an hour later. She ignored the sights and the sounds and weaved her way through the masses not touching a single one as only females could. She walked straight through the park to the Shrike Tree and to the boy sitting on his own. She held her head up and walked towards him. He hadn't noticed her just yet, but as she got to just two metres away, he looked up at her, amazed.

Henley stopped in front of him and asked if she could sit beside him. The boy nodded his head once and watched as she gracefully sat down.

"Hi," Henley said to the boy in the sweetest voice that she could muster. "Where are your parents?"

The kid looked up at her hesitantly. "They-they're shopping around," he stuttered in a small voice that touched Henley's heart.

"What's your name?" She asked calmly.

"J-Jack Wilder," he answered.

Henley smiled and brought up the small backpack that she had bought recently. "Well, Mr. Wilder, I have something for you." She dropped the backpack into his lap.

Jack sat looked at it with wide eyes. He quickly shook himself out of his reverie and his tiny hands dove for it. He flipped it open to rifle through the contents. Inside sat a boxed-up steaming meal, a bottle of water, a new outfit, and a crisp $100 bill.

For the first time in a year, a large genuine smile graced his young face and that made Henley's grin wider.

"Thank you," Jack said to Henley with wide eyes full of gratitude.

"You're welcome." She reached a hand out and tenderly squeezed his hand for a second before standing up. "You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah," Jack said with more confidence then before.

Henley smiled then ruffled his hair before walking off. She was halfway out of the park when she remembered that she hadn't told the kid her name. She turned back around to go back to where the kid was sitting but when she saw the bench it was empty.

She looked around, hoping to get a glimpse of Jack but it was no use. He was gone. She assumed that his parents went to get him and they were on their way home right this minute so she just shrugged and continued on in her direction.