Chasing Home

Drabble 4: Write about Maine and Alden joyously venturing into 'war' when they have all the peace they need at home

Dean peeked through the peephole to see who was outside and turned the knob. "Menggay, si Alden."

Maine stood up from the kitchen table to meet her dashing visitor. Alden gave her a light buss on the cheek.

"Na-traffic ka?" asked Maine.

"Oo, sobra," Alden exhaled as he threw himself onto the couch.

"Aww, kawawa naman." Maine got a glass of cold water and handed it to Alden and sat beside him. She also gently patted the sweat on his back with a towel. It was enough to calm him and forget about the grueling two-hour travel from his photoshoot venue to Maine's condo. "Palit kang shirt. Wait, kuha kita."

Maine went into the guest room closet and got one of many a comfy white V-necked top from a stack of shirts Alden has left from his previous visits. She helped him change, and threw the sweat-smeared shirt into the hamper.

"Thank you." Alden let out a deep sigh, and took in the light citrus scent that filled the room. He enjoyed the ticklish tips of Maine's hand running through his hair. He couldn't be more thankful enough for this tiny abode within the chaos of the city, but not as grateful for the very reason he can call this place home. He didn't mind if he could fall asleep right where he was.

"Dinalhan kita ng salad."

Maine let out a faint "Thank you."

He noticed the slight pout on her luscious cherry lips that made him both forget and remember to say, "Ayaw mo ba? Kahit bukas mo na kainin, ilagay mo na lang sa ref."

"Ikaw ba, kumain ka na?"

"Kanina pang 7. Pero gusto mo bang kumain today?"

Maine kept on lightly stroking his hair. Alden held her right cheek. "Uy, Love. Anong gusto mo?"

"Gusto ko sanang mag-ramen."

"Tara."

"Pagod ka na, eh."

"Kaya nga kumain tayo. Let's go!" He propped himself up from Maine's lap.

"Talaga ba?"

"Oo nga. Saan ba, dun sa dati?"

"Hinde, sa bago. Joke. Oo, dun sa dati."

Alden chuckled. This woman would always, always amuse him, he thought. "Dali, bihis ka na. Sama ka, Dean?"

"Di na, antok na ako. Uwian nyo na lang ako," Dean let out a yawn.

"Thank youuu!" Maine planted a tender, audible kiss on Alden's cheek and threw her arms around him--a reward in itself for him. She bounced from the sofa to get changed, and after five minutes, came out of the room in a loose sweatshirt, leggings, and a baseball cap—her default incognito suit. Alden put on a cap, too.

They gently locked the front door and casually made their way to the special elevator, glancing to look out for any sign of people, avoiding to look directly at the CCTVs. Inside the elevator, though, Alden couldn't help but place his hand on Maine's waist and hold her hand with the other.

"Let's do this," he said as he started the engine. Maine was just intently looking at him, her wide smile unfading.

Heavy traffic knows no unholy hour during such times, but Alden didn't mind braving another carmaggedon at 12:30am. The prospect of having this woman to himself for the next few hours or so gives him enough strength for the rest of the night.