Chapter 6

The next few days she was closely watched by the staff. The centre of attention was of course her relationship with Alexander.  Every time she bumped into him, she tend to be polite and in general to avoid being where he was. The problem with that was, that he was everywhere! 

She noticed him in the most unusual places, engaging himself in the most unusual tasks, like plastering with Manos the stone walls, sitting with Eleni in the kitchen- God only knew how they understood each other-, or playing football with the children on the beach. 

Specially this moments her heart skipped a beat and it was impossible for her to draw her eyes off of him. He had enchanted everybody with his charm and his immediacy Each passing moment he transformed in her eyes to something earthly and familiar. 

It was like he had shed off the identity of the ruthless and successful Alexander Stone.

He was a distant dream, someone that didn’t in fact exist. 

She heard him laugh carefree with Eleni and teasing her. His cold look had disappeared. He could pass as a simple lad, who happen to come to this place for a little vacation. But Marianna knew better than that and she could not afford to be fooled.

His behaviour was a faked one and she should not forget that. He just wanted to assert everyone, to evalued his inheritance and than throw them all out, so he could build a large monstrosity on this beautiful small place. 

The thought that he was coaxing the trust and respect of her people angered her. But it angered her more, that as much as she tried to avoid him, the more her eyes sought him out, the more her mind was occupied by him.

She caught herself looking at his strong arms, registering the angels of his face, examining his lean muscled body and wondering how it would feel like to have this body pressed against hers, inhaling his sent and touching his skin. There were moments when she recollected the fleeting touch of his lips upon her neck and her cheeks flushed instantly. 

«This bloody week will come to an end, it can’t go on forever, right? He is bound to leave sometime! Doesn’t he have more important things to do?» She opened her door frustrated to go to the tavern to prepare it for the evening. 

And there he was again, on her doorstep. His hair was tousled, wearing a black t-shirt and low cut jeans. He looked deliciously rakish, like someone that you would absolutely have a one night stand on the beach on an warm August night, remembering your student days of carefree love. 

Marianna was certain that if he lift those arms, she would see his lower abdomen in all its muscular glory.

She herself wore an emerald green dress with delicate waves on its end. Her hair was tied back and her subtle make up highlighted her amber eyes. For a fleeting minute she noticed admiration in his eyes and was tremendously pleased.  

«I need to talk to you», he said dryly while stepping into her room.

Marianna feared this moment. She knew that he had made his decision. She could see it in his expression.  He looked around. Her room was simple and minimal and suddenly, in his presence, her place seemed much smaller, he dominated it. 

Closing the door she turned to him patiently awaiting what was to come.

« This place is a goldmine. It is everything you described and more. Tomorrow I leave for Athens to take care of the formalities. After that I will return to London.» He turned towards her in search for her eyes. She lifted her head and looked at him courageously, bracing herself. She would fight him, oppose him in every way.

«Things will remain the same, you were right. I will of course expect a report every six months and fifty percent of the profit. If there is any funding that you may need in the future, for restorations or improvements, don’t hesitate to ask.» 

Marianna couldn‘t believe her ears. She brought her hands in front of her lips in amazement, tears of relieve welling up her eyes. The terrible tension of the last weeks slid off her, giving  way to happiness. Without thinking twice she ran into his arms.

«Thank you! Thank you so much!» She knew that she was too forward, but she didn’t care. Alexander wrapped his arm around her still stunned by her childlike enthusiasm. Than he started laughing. The sound of it was like music to her ears flowing straight to her soul. 

«Does this mean, we have truce?» he asked coyly.

«But yes, of course!» Her senses were suddenly very aware of his warmth and the strength of his body. So she took a step back, still smiling though.

«Than you wouldn’t deny an old friend from England a small favour», he said with a playful tone that made her heart melt.

«Name it», she answered without hesitation. 

«Paint the wall on my bedroom in London». He was actually serious about this.

«You must be kidding!» she was ready to burst out laughing.

«Not at all!» he still was serious. «What is a small painting in comparison to the place you love so much? All expenses are mine of course!» He was smiling again with all his charm. 

Marianna made a serious face and held her hand out to him.

«Deal! Whenever you want!» she answered him mimicking a business man and turned on her heels to go to the tavern. She had found her good mood again. The hotel was secure and with it the tradition and the jobs of people, who she considered family. 

She would enjoy herself tonight and she would let her charm unfold to the guests, proving to everybody that she was the most suitable person to run this small establishment. 

When she reached her door she turned once more around and blew him a kiss winking at him. She was after all , very happy!