Chapter Fourteen- Jenna's POV

Start from the beginning

Hours had passed since they’d carted Eve away and I was becoming anxious. What is she didn’t make it? What would happen if she died?

The doors opened and the pack doctor walked out in scrubs, covered in blood. His expression was grim as Hansel stood. “How is she? How’s the baby?” The doctor shook his head and I watched as Hansel crumbled.

“Her fall caused a miscarriage, killing the foetus and she sustained brain damage, a broken clavicle, radius, carpus, fibula, a broken rib, pierced lung and two broken thoracic vertebra; there’d be a large possibility that she would be paralysed if she woke, but she’s not going to… her body is shutting down and there’s nothing we can do.” I knew that if she ever did wake up, she would be devastated; she had loved that child and she was so independent.

“No, no, no; she will wake up, she’ll be fine and she’ll argue the toss with me and she’ll wake up!” Hansel said almost frantically as Ace shook his head. “She’ll be fine.”

“Please tell me there’s something we can do… anything.” Ace practically begged. “My little girl is not going to die!”

The doctor stared at Ace before sighing. “There’s one thing; but it’s a one in a million shot and if it doesn’t work, she will die.”

“If there’s a chance that it will help, we’ll do it.”

The doctor shook his head. “It’s not that simple though.”

I sighed and stood, hands on hips. “I and everyone else here would appreciate it if you would stop being vague and tell us what can save her and how we do it.” I ordered. I didn’t like people who went round and round in circles; you either get to the point or get out. I was tired, pregnant and I was facing the loss of my niece; I was not in the mood for frivolities.

He cleared his throat and nodded. “My apologies alpha; you may know the stories from the Middle Ages when hunters and villages were turned?”

I nodded. When I was a teenager, I would constantly read the books in my dad’s office because I didn’t have many friends… and I wanted my dad’s attention. There was a book on the history of my kind and I remember that in the middle ages, there was a phenomenon of turnings

Hundreds or years ago, there were many accounts of werewolf attacks; usually rouges. Hunters were low in numbers and did not have the technology they had now; but the hunters that did exist used to hunt rouges that killed or attacked humans. Many of the hunters had werewolf ancestors and although they were human, they had wolf DNA; no matter how little, no matter how dormant. This was important to note because when the hunters that had the dormant wolf DNA were attacked and bitten, but not immediately killed, they would turn, or die in the process. It seemed that this only worked with the strongest of people and happened because the wolf DNA somehow… triggered the dormant wolf genes within the hunters. But it didn’t just happen with hunters; it also happened with villagers, nobles and even royalty.

.“What of it?” I asked; I had my suspicions as to what he was eluding to, but I wanted to hear it from him first.

Many died after they were bitten due to their system’s rejecting the wolf’s DNA and very few survived the change; it was much more violent than that of a born wolf’s. But if the person did survive, they were stronger and faster than a normal wolf, more agile and they healed faster. That was what got me; they healed faster.

My mind flashed to Eve; she’d heal faster… if she survived.

“Perhaps if we introduced wolf DNA into her body, she would make the change and heal…”

“But?” I urged, knowing that Ace would know where the doctor was going; Griffin and Hansel would have no idea though. Kade had been silent through the whole thing and as I glance at him from the corner of my eye, his face was impassive.