three.

There was a time when everything was still and perfect. A time when, for two years, love was love and the boy and girl believed they would actually live happily ever after. A time when nothing except them mattered, a time when everything bad was good and everything good was perfect. That time came to an abrupt halt, though, when Maryann Moore called me over to her home for some "talk and tea."

"I need you to breakup with Thomas." The lady had said on that cold, gloomy December day.

"Excuse me?"

"He has gotten too attached, Anne Alice. I knew this would happen. I need you to tell him to never speak to you again when he comes in. This should have been done a long time ago."

"Mrs. Moore," I began, my throat seeming tight. "I'm sorry, but I just can't do that."

She leaned forward in her chair, her eyes burning with intensity.

"And why is that, dear?" She asked quietly.

"Because...because I do love Thomas-"

"Ha!" She laughed. "Anne Alice...please...my son won't be able to provide for you. What life could he give you? Love can only get you so far, deary. Only so far."

"Love can get us as far as we need to go, Mrs. Moore. You're scared I'll ditch him later on, when things get rough, like you did with your husband? Is that right? Well I'm not like you, Mrs. Moore! I'm not as cold hearted as you are! I'm not-"

"Enough!" Maryann dropped her saucer. "Thomas is my son, and I forbid you two to ever be together! Do you understand, Miss Todd?!"

"I won't do it." I stated, heart in my throat, teacup shaking ridiculously in my trembling hands.

Maryann rose from her spot on the cushioned chair adjacent to mine.

"You will do this, child, or you and your family will pay dearly." She said angrily, but firmly, as she made her way to my chair in the vast den.

"Are you threatening my family?" I gasped.

"Yes." She said. "I hate to do it, but I have contacts your family does not wish to mess with."

I gasped aloud.

"Mrs. Moore!"

Maryann leaned down to where her face was within inches of mine. I could feel her hot breath as she said, "Didn't your mother just have a baby, Annie girl?"

That was it. That was when she touched the wrong nerve. I burst into tears, trembling uncontrollably and spilling tea all over my pant legs.

"Please, Mrs. Moore, don't hurt my family!"

"Then don't hurt my son!" She spat. "A girl like you is bound to hurt him! Wish him a farewell, Anne Alice! And for heaven's sake, quit blubbering like that!"

But the tears wouldn't stop. I stood to leave, but as soon as I was about to set my saucer down, in walked Thomas.

And in that moment, my world crashed. I had exploded. I dropped my teacup, shattering it to a million pieces. Tears were coming harder than ever, causing me to double over in hiccuping sobs.

"Anne Alice?" Thomas called, finding his way into the den with his cane. "Is that you? Are you okay? Why are you crying?"

"She's fine, Thomas." Maryann answered. "She's leaving you."

There are no words to describe the terrible, horrid, moments following Maryann's announcement. The tears. The screaming. The sound of two hearts breaking. The cursing. The livid and confused look on Thomas's face as he cried, "Annie, don't go! Annie, no, please! Annie, why!?"

I couldn't explain, I couldn't even get one word out to him. I merely escaped his grasp as I tried to leave, fighting back the urge to grab him and take him with me. My legs moved somehow, and somehow I got home. Somehow I managed to throw my paintings out the window and burn my art supplies. Somehow I forgot how to smile or laugh. Somehow, someway, I had completely broken down.